points/award system

16 years 10 months ago #39793 by ubertramp
points/award system was created by ubertramp
Is there any plugin available (comercial or otherwise) that can award points (give credit) to members voting on any items?

I'm using mosrating but am still able to switch to any voting/rating system.

i have not found ANY plugin or script that rewards members for this kind of interaction - does anybody know of a solution to, or way around this?

feedback is much appreciated.
thanks
nath

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #40844 by one7media
Replied by one7media on topic Re:points/award system
I wish someone would pick this up. I have a background in marketing, and can tell you that this would be a big sell to clients.

Think about this option... You run a business directory with mosets tree, sobi2, or something like that. The businesses that advertise in your directory are paying because they expect your site visitors to see their information. How do you get people to view their information? POINTS that are redeemable for AWARDS/PRIZES.

You place a button or something like that in a module that only registered users can see that when clicked on adds a certain amount of "POINTS" in their account.

You don't even have to buy prizes. The whole contest is sponsored by businesses that are already on your site so you get them to donate some prizes in exchange for being a sponsor of the contest.

This is a really simple concept. People are motivated by "What's in it for me". What's in it for them is some cool prizes that they can win, or spend points on, just by going to different pages of your website and viewing content.

This will entice more businesses to advertise on your directory because they know visitors will view their information, whatever that might be.

Post edited by: one7media, at: 2007/07/12 05:44

15 years 10 months ago #65244 by amyjewell
Replied by amyjewell on topic Re:points/award system
that is a really cool idea! I am sure that someone will do it. I certainly can't yet!

15 years 6 months ago #77597 by one7media
Replied by one7media on topic Re:points/award system
Well, after a 15 months, here I am again, only this time my dream of a points system has come true, and in a big way.

I can only take credit for my idea, but the work was done by two people.

First, I contacted Knut-Perry G Brumoen ( p-ds.no ) because he had already worked on a pointsystem for adsmanager. I told him my idea and asked if he would custom code a component that would work with his pointsystem to give me the functionality I needed. He jumped all over it and started to work it through. By the way, if you need custom work done for Joomla, contact Perry. You won't regret it.

Then, like finding a big fat suitcase full of money under your hotel's bed, Bernard over at AlphaPlug ( www.alphaplug.com ) releases AlphaUser Points out of nowhere (I'm not sure how long he's been working on it, but Perry is the only one that I contacted about this.)

Perry used AUP and built a custom plugin so that you could put a points button anywhere by simply entering:
[code:1]{points|20}[/code:1]

He also customized Phoca Download so that users get points for downloading coupons from our sponsors and built a module (see pic - Member Menu) that tells the user how many points they collected today and how many they have total. Oh yeah, that reminds me...it's also set up so that users can only click on each points button once per day so they have to go to different advertisers listings to get points instead of staying on the same page and clicking away.

Since I'm using a slightly different version of AUP, I haven't been on Bernard's site a whole lot, but the project is being actively developed and it has a plugin infrastructure so it can potentially be used with any component.

Almost forgot to mention CB, didn't use it myself, but Bernard has a CB plugin as well.

If you want to see it all in action (my custom setup anyway), visit www.DaleHollowFishing.com (offline at the time of this post, but will be live in a few days).

Thank you Perry for the awesome work and reliability and thank you Bernard for perfect timing.

After over a year, this thread is solved!

Post edited by: one7media, at: 2008/10/17 11:05
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn