Email notification configuration

10 years 2 months ago #240768 by robfromfort
Email notification configuration was created by robfromfort
Hi like many others I am having a huge problem getting email notifications to work.

I am using SMTP on the site and it's working correctly for joomla. I have enabled mosmail in the component system, checked default for email notification is always, stop email is off. Allow email notification is set to no.

I've been through everything, read the FAQ, scoured the forums for a solution and spent hours trying to solve this. Is there some kind of fix needed/ patch/ change in code needed to make this work correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #240769 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Email notification configuration
There is nothing that must be changed in the code. It works on thousands of installations fine.

Please check if the configured sender address is valid and try phpMail in case you have problems with mosMail. Note that phpMail requires that PHP is configured to send emails.

UddeIM uses the Joomla framework to send messages, so there is nothing more that a component can do except passing the sender, recipient, a subject and the text.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

10 years 2 months ago #240771 by robfromfort
Replied by robfromfort on topic Email notification configuration
I've no idea how to setup phpmail and I don't think my cpanel uses it?

I have set a valid email in the settings, it's the same one my site uses. My site sends emails but your component doesn't and many people who are trying to use SMTP seem to have the problems and your answer is always the same. But is it possible there is a problem with this particular part of your software as if joomla is sending mail it's configured correctly.

I'm sure many thousands of installs work very well but all the issues I've seen point to SMTP and not phpmail.

10 years 2 months ago #240772 by slabbi
So why do you not use sendmail or phpmail in Joomla config?

UddeIM offers two ways to send messages:

mosMail: This option forces uddeIM to use the Joomla framework (sendmail, smtp server or php)

phpMail: This option forces uddeIM to use PHP mail function directly (bypasses the Joomla framework)

When using mosMail there is no special code for sendmail, smtp server or php. UddeIM calls the framework and hopefully Joomla sends the email. I am pretty sure that messages will be send when you use sendmail or php.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

10 years 2 months ago #240775 by robfromfort
Replied by robfromfort on topic Email notification configuration
My server uses SMTP! I can't use either of the others and alot of ISP's block phpmail as it's spam so even if I could I wouldn't want to.

There seems to be an issue with uddeIM not working via mosmail and SMTP, would it not be advantageous to address the issue rather than avoid it all together by using a different system?

If you wish you can have access to the backend to check the settings for yourself so you can check and see things are configured correctly, you'd be more than welcome.

10 years 2 months ago #240776 by slabbi
I am sorry I cannot help you here.

When using mosMail UddeIM relies on Joomla framework. When it works with sendmail or phpmail then it is an issue with your server configuration or smtp configuration or something else, since the code is the same: Calling the Joomla framework and let Joomla decide how to send the message.

There are lots of possible issues (among others explained in the FAQ), e.g.

Once there was one user that claims "smtp server" setting was not working. After a few hours he received the messages. What happens? The messages were delayed in a graylist filter.

Another problem that appears quite often with smtp mail agents is that it does not accept emails from locally unknown email accounts (even when the login data is correct).

Please check the smtp logs. Maybe you will find a reason why the message is not accepted.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn