Email notifications on CB Activity - Comments

3 years 5 months ago #321346 by boyjahq
What is the best way to have a user notified by email if a comment is posted on their profile by way of CB Activity? I can't seem to find such an option within the dense menu/submenu/subsubmenu settings within CB Activity. Is this something that can be achieved using AutoActions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #321353 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Email notifications on CB Activity - Comments
CB Activity has no email notifications. They're all on-site notifications. People typically hate being spammed by sites for things like comments so for now it was not implemented as being emailed on every comment is a nightmare experience. The plan is to eventually support email digests once we've a generic API for doing that so they can be emailed a batch of information at the end of the day, few days, or week instead of being sent multiple emails.

You can do this using CB Auto Actions though. Make a copy of "CB Activity - Comment Notification" system action in CB Auto Actions then change it to an Email action. Be sure to set the To address to [var2_user_id] so it sends to the activity owner.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

3 years 2 months ago #323265 by boyjahq
Replied by boyjahq on topic Email notifications on CB Activity - Comments
Thank you for your guidance. I tried the method that you suggested but could not get it to work (no email was sent). I tried many different things and was finally able to get it to perform as we needed. In case it is helpful to others who may want to do the same kind of thing, here is how we got it to work.

We made a copy of "CB Activity - Comment Notification" system action in CB Auto Actions then change it to an Email action.

We used [var2_user_id] for the To field under the Action tab

We used language substitution strings for the Subject and Body fields. Important here was that we used [cb:userdata field="username" user="#me"/] to show the username of the person who posted the comment

We removed all conditions that were listed under the Conditions tab

Then it finally would send an email, but it was not observing the language parameter for the receiving user.

So then we replaced [var2_user_id] with just [user_id] in the To field. Then it would send the email in the proper language for the receiver.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn