You do not have permission to email/message this user

3 years 1 month ago #323487 by AlexRag
I am working on a site with CB + CBSubs.

I was wondering where I make the necessary configuration changes to allow users to send emails and or private messages.

For PRIVATE MESSAGING
1) I have the private messaging plugin published
2) Set to the proper Access Level user group ("Members")
3) Set "User Messages To" - All Users
4) Set "User Messages From Access" - Members

For EMAIL MESSAGING - I don't know where this is actually configured to either disable or modify access parameters.

My goal is to only allow a specific registered user group with access to email and messaging features. I have a free registered user group as well but do not want this available to them,

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago #323495 by krileon
Private messaging access is entirely configured in the Private Message System plugin under Parameters > Create. Your PMS access configuration looks correct. What issues are you having with it?

As for the email form there is no access permissions for that. It's either allowed or it's not. Only way to add some access checks to it is redirect away from the email form if the user doesn't have the appropriate usergroup using a redirect auction in CB Auto Actions on the onBeforeEmailUserForm trigger.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 1 month ago #323518 by AlexRag

Private messaging access is entirely configured in the Private Message System plugin under Parameters > Create. Your PMS access configuration looks correct. What issues are you having with it?

I am getting a "you do not have permission to message this user" error message.

Could it be something in the privacy setting or CBSubs plan?

As for the email form there is no access permissions for that. It's either allowed or it's not. Only way to add some access checks to it is redirect away from the email form if the user doesn't have the appropriate usergroup using a redirect action in CB Auto Actions on the onBeforeEmailUserForm trigger

For reference, where can I enable/disable it?

Will disabling it also hide the menu references (see image)

I like the auto action option. I gather the redirect can be set to throw up a custom message I create similar to the error message or would I need to create some kind of message page?

Thanks!
Attachments:

3 years 1 month ago #323525 by krileon

I am getting a "you do not have permission to message this user" error message.

That's primarily controlled by the following parameters.

User Messages To
User Messages From Access
User Messages To Access

Please provide a screenshot of the Parameters > Internal > Create tab of Private Message System plugin so I can get a full picture of your configuration.

Could it be something in the privacy setting or CBSubs plan?

CBSubs shouldn't have any impact here, but CB Privacy certainly can. CB Privacy will check the privacy rules applied to the "pm" field in addition to if the user attempting to PM them was blocked. Try unpublishing CB Privacy temporarily to see if it's what is blocking the PMs.

For reference, where can I enable/disable it?

The email form can be turned off in CB > Configuration > General using "Email Handling" parameter.

Will disabling it also hide the menu references (see image)

Yes.

I like the auto action option. I gather the redirect can be set to throw up a custom message I create similar to the error message or would I need to create some kind of message page?

The redirect can include a message that will output to Joomlas message queue.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #323531 by AlexRag
Here is a screenshot of the Private Messaging System / Internal / Create tab.

I did as suggested and disabled the Privacy Plugin and both email and private messaging worked. So it looks like I need to see what parameters there has affected access. Can you direct me as to which ones would restrict access by user group?

I know the PMS can be configured this way but the email is globally on or off, so unsure what to do to fix for each.

Thanks!
Attachments:

3 years 1 month ago #323536 by krileon

I did as suggested and disabled the Privacy Plugin and both email and private messaging worked. So it looks like I need to see what parameters there has affected access. Can you direct me as to which ones would restrict access by user group?

CB Privacy protects privacy messaging with the Profile Privacy field and the PM field. So both of those privacy controls are checked. So for example if a user has no permission to view that persons profile they can't PM them. The email form is protected by checking the Profile Privacy field as well, but instead of the PM field it will check the Email field.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.616 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn