[SOLVED] Some members may edit some specific other members' profiles - how?

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #326155 by lousyfool
Hi again,

I need to enable some members (not "Moderators" or J! admins) to edit profiles of certain other members.

Wannabe-editor and to-be-edited have in common:
- CB Connection (exclusively, means they're only connected with each other, no one else - both ways)
- A CB field with the same hashed value unique for these connected members.

Not in common = differences in between editor and edited:
- Usergroups
- ACL
- Values of other CB fields (e.g. in one CB field editors have a value of 1, while edited have a value of 0)

Editors shall be able to edit the profiles of their connections, but not vice versa. (I know, that won't be a biggie once the basic concept is working.)

How?
Been thinking to - per Auto Action and when matching conditions - temporarily give an editor a "Moderator" usergroup while they're accessing a connected profile (and remove it again once they're done), but that seems a bit risky.
Any better way I can't think of - without hacking core?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #326159 by krileon
The only way to do this is clever usage of usergroups and Moderator View Access Level. Beyond that it's impossible as we do not support assigning a user moderator permissions for specific users at this time (something we want to implement in the future).

For moderation a moderator cannot edit someone who is in the same usergroup or above their usergroup. Example as follows.

Registered
- Team 1
- - Team 1 Moderator
- Team 2
- - Team 2 Moderator

Now with the above structure if you were to select Team 1 Moderator and Team 2 Moderator in your Moderator View Access Level then Team 2 Moderator can edit Team 2, but cannot edit Team 1. The same applies for Team 1 Moderator being able to edit Team 1, but not Team 2.

Note that this behavior ONLY applies to profile edit. They'll still have all other full moderator permissions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #326160 by lousyfool
Thanks, understood.

I do have that structure already for different reasons. Though not one "team set" per editor/edited group, but that's not the issue as I can prevent further "cross-group" editing with conditionals.

But, as confirmed by you, I must then make the editors full "CB Moderators" and, if I understand it right, that's a no-no due to the other moderator permissions they would inherit. As I already said in my initial post, "that seems a bit risky".

Too bad... guess I'll need to look into modding the core :(

2 years 7 months ago #326167 by lousyfool
Hi Kyle,

Just FYI, I found a solution without messing with the core.

In short, I've created a new tab restricted to the editors' ACL and, with the help of a new Custom HTML field, placed a form in there, with which the relevant fields can be edited while viewing the connected profile.

Done and dusted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn