Migrating a community from 1 CB to another

2 years 6 months ago #326326 by MarlonFungai
Migrating a community from 1 CB to another was created by MarlonFungai
I have a number of websites running different communities on CB with CB Subs, GroupJive etc we would like to explore if we can move all the users and their messages, activity etc from one cb to another site and what steps we can follow to do this. The new community is completely fresh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #326346 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Migrating a community from 1 CB to another
Are you moving them into an existing CB site or into a new CB site? If new CB site it's mostly a matter of just exporting the data from the database and importing it on the new site. If it's an existing CB site it's basically impossible as you'll have unique id conflicts in basically every table. It's doable, but we're talking significant amount of work to do that. For CB database tables they all begin with the following.

_comprofiler
_cbsubs
_groupjive

If you're moving Joomla users as well it gets even more complicated as you need to deal with usergroup assignments, etc.. Joomla users would need the following tables.

_users
_user_keys
_user_notes
_user_profiles
_user_usergroup_map

If using custom usergroups then you need to handle those missing usergroups as well on the new site.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 6 months ago #326351 by MarlonFungai
Replied by MarlonFungai on topic Migrating a community from 1 CB to another
Ok so that's a no then ok cool maybe a tool we could look at including in the future. ;)

2 years 6 months ago #326354 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Migrating a community from 1 CB to another
There isn't an efficient way to deal with unique id conflicts. User id for example spans across pretty much every table. If that were to change for a user their all their content is no longer associated with them. I wouldn't hold out for a tool to do this for you. It's something you'll need to do manually using custom queries depending on the tables you need to move and deal with mapping users to new user ids, mapping their content to those ids, etc.. if this was a CB install to a clean CB install it's not an issue though as there's no conflicts to deal wtih.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn