Error 403, Category access non-"Public", & CBSubs?

12 years 2 months ago #190326 by prthnon
I just spent a bunch of time diagnosing a problem, and I'd like to understand why it happened, and what other implications I should know about.

Our site would display an error 403 page for an Joomla content manager article, that is controlled by a CBSubs plan. A menu item pointed to the article. I was logged out of the site.

When I put the article under category A, and clicked on the menu item, I got an error 403. This was unexpected.

When I moved the article to category B, and clicked on the menu item, I got a CBSubs message "Access to this content is not allowed without subscription". That was the expected result.

A CBSubs plan controlled both Category A and Category B. The categories were identical in most respects.

However, Category A had access set to "Registered", using the Joomla Content... Category Manger, while Category B had access set to "Public". I changed category A's access to "Public", and then the article under Category A behaved as expected.

I suspect that Joomla's category Access mechanism is stepping in before CBSubs. The 403 error comes from Joomla enforcing the access of "Registered", and denying my logged-out session access to the article. Is my understanding correct?

What I expect CBSubs to do, though, is to be able to work smoothly with the Joomla access restrictions. I'd like to be able to tell CBSubs that it takes precedence over Joomla restrictions, or at least displays its error message first.

Should I instead set Joomla access restriction to "Public" for every item I expect to control with CBsubs?

In any event, I expect the CBSubs documentation to tell me about this issue. I looked particularly in "9.5.6.3 Plans icon area - Integrations Tab - Content sub-tab " (p. 265). I didn't see any mention of Joomla access settings there.

What else should I know about the interaction of Joomla access restrictions and CBSubs?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #190508 by krileon
The way it works is ACL then CBSubs. If the user doesn't have access to the article or the articles category to begin with then CBSubs can't control it any further. You need to ensure they're first set to Public to let CBSubs take over access controls. Joomlas behavior is if the user doesn't have access then pretend the page doesn't even exist (which is the correct behavior).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn