[SOLVED] Not requiring Name fields if Company is populated

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #191280 by munk38
When creating a new member we have a circumstance where there might not be a First Name and Last name, but rather a Company Name. We have a text field for Company Name that is not required. The system will not allow the save if the Name fields aren't filled out.

Is there an easy way that we can use the Company Name as the formatted name after saving? For instance: If company name is filled out and firstname and lastname are blank to use the Company Name as the formatted name.

The reason for not having a First and Last Name would be that we mail out a magazine to the Company with no specific person receiving it.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #191475 by krileon
You can try setting the name fields to not required and if they're missing CB trys to store their email address as their name. You could also set name format to a single name field and rename it to "Personal/Company Name" or something of the sort.

Please note these are CBSubs support forums for CBSubs related issues. It's not a means to bypass needing an Advanced/Professional subscription for significantly more generalized CB support for future reference.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #191563 by munk38
Thanks Krileon. I was thinking of something like that too, but there are some circumstances where a company will have a contact to enter into first and last name. If I knew what file actually created the name field for inserting I could update it to use the company name if no firstname and lastname was entered.

Sorry about posting into this forum. Feel free to move it, if you need to and thanks again!!

12 years 2 months ago #191611 by krileon
You can do that with incubator project CB Auto Actions. You could set up a Field action to set the name field if neither first or last name are populated and populate it with Company. However, incubator projects require a professional subscription. You could also create a new trigger based plugin to do this for you (see tutorials within my signature for more on trigger plugins and a working example). Regarding the file it's located in I can't really help with as we don't support core edits, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #191619 by munk38
Perfect. Plugin it is!! I appreciate the help Krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn