CBSubs with Lifetime maintenance - all I get now is 1 year?

11 years 4 months ago #217706 by TBDESP
Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding something...

I paid for a lifetime maintenance and updates when I first bought CBSubs. The way I understood it, it stated that I would get all future updates of CBSubs, and all future maintenance costs for CBSubs, for no further money.

I found out that if I choose to upgrade to more members (pre CBSubs 3.0), it would cost me double, to cover the lifetime maintenance. I can understand that, and was willing to pay it. It is not a 'future update' to upgrade the number of users.

However, if I understand it correctly, I am now getting only one year of CBSubs 3.0 (and future updates) for free, to compensate me for paying for the lifetime maintenance package... and after that I will be required to pay a yearly fee to continue using it and getting the updates I already paid for a lifetime of?

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something, or if something was mis-typed, or what... lifetime is not "until we want to make more money", but until I or the product dies... a lifetime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCLRWeb, ozneilau

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #217707 by SCLRWeb
Yes We are also not happy with the new direction...

paying a maintenance which should guarantee against this exact sort of flagrant upgrade BS.

I finally renewed our maintenance to make sure I got upgrades...
now subs 2.x will be depreciated it appears and we're forced to move to 3.0...

going from encrypted to GPL'd and the change costs those of us that funded it again?

Lifetime Subs I'd be outraged!!! I'm just really pissed and now voicing my opinion as well.

Not good - understand they are all unlimited users and such but that isn't what I need. Less than 500 works fine for us, and will for years to come.

Probably count us out on continued support and use...

Bummed....

11 years 4 months ago #217723 by ThePiston
I have 2 lifetime CBsubs subscriptions. I was very close to buying a 3rd (glad I didn't).

Someone break this down for me - the CBsubs 3 is free to install, but to use it you have to pay a fee? Or just a support subscription (optional?)

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #217753 by ozneilau
Thanks for bringing this up and voicing what many CBSubs purchasers like me are probably feeling.

While the move to GPL is to be applauded, constantly changing the goal posts on licensing and expecting clients to pay each time doesn't inspire confidence in the developer.

I'll be more likely to check competing products before investing any more time or money in extensions that may be priced out of reach in future.

Softening the blow with a special offer doesn't really help and I'm advising all my CBSubs clients to stick with the current version in the meantime.

Neil.

Edit: Allowing exisitng CBSubs clients to upgrade for free would probably fix this.

NEIL ROBERTSON
Web: webilicious.com.au

11 years 4 months ago #217778 by nant

ThePiston wrote: I have 2 lifetime CBsubs subscriptions. I was very close to buying a 3rd (glad I didn't).

Someone break this down for me - the CBsubs 3 is free to install, but to use it you have to pay a fee? Or just a support subscription (optional?)

CBSubs GPL 3.0 is now a GPL product that is offered for download, maintenance releases and support based on a new CBSubs GPL membership plan on this site.

We have a migration plan for existing CBSubs customers to migrate at a substantial discounted rate (from 50% to 100% depending on license purchased and maintenance).

Once you download CBSubs GPL 3.0 you can use it on all your existing sites or on any new sites you want without any limitations (no more user count or site number limits and no more ioncube needed).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn