CBSubs with Lifetime maintenance - all I get now is 1 year?

11 years 4 months ago #217781 by TBDESP
Nick,

Correct me if I am wrong; but CBSubs 3.0, while a new version of CBSubs, is still ... CBSubs?

And when I bought a lifetime maintenance package for CBSubs, it stated I got all future update/versions of CBSubs for free, for lifetime.

So I should not have to ever pay for use of any version of CBSubs, unless I choose to upgrade or add new features not included in the CBSubs base, per the contractual agreement we entered when I made the purchase of lifetime maintenance.

What am I missing here? How are you considering it legal to try to start charging for this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #217783 by nant

TBDESP wrote: Nick,

Correct me if I am wrong; but CBSubs 3.0, while a new version of CBSubs, is still ... CBSubs?

Nope - it's really considered as a new product with substantially new licensing approach (unlimited users and unlimited sites).

And when I bought a lifetime maintenance package for CBSubs, it stated I got all future update/versions of CBSubs for free, for lifetime.

So I should not have to ever pay for use of any version of CBSubs, unless I choose to upgrade or add new features not included in the CBSubs base, per the contractual agreement we entered when I made the purchase of lifetime maintenance.

What am I missing here? How are you considering it legal to try to start charging for this?

Not wishing to get into legal discussions.

As Beat mentioned please use the contact form as we really want to find a way to do the best for every specific use case and of course help you with your migration to the new model which has many great benefits for everyone.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #217798 by TBDESP

nant wrote:

Nope - it's really considered as a new product with substantially new licensing approach (unlimited users and unlimited sites).

Really? Because the whole 'CBSubs N.N' naming convention, and the emails I received on this new version of CBSubs strongly led me to believe CBSubs 3.0 is a new version of CBSubs - you know, with the same name and whole version number thing being used and all...

11 years 4 months ago #217844 by beat

TBDESP wrote:

nant wrote:

Really? Because the whole 'CBSubs N.N' naming convention, and the emails I received on this new version of CBSubs strongly led me to believe CBSubs 3.0 is a new version of CBSubs - you know, with the same name and whole version number thing being used and all...

Hi TBDESP,

First of all, I do not wish to go into a debate here, for us, the most important is that everybody is happy with the move away from a restrictive proprietary license to a very generous open-source GPL license, and we wish to make the transition as smooth and fair as possible for everyone. Thus your next step is really to contact us through our contact form (Contact link at bottom of all pages here) after reading the below so that we can understand your particular case, and give a fair proposal for your particular case without revealing any of your private licensing information publicly.

CBSubs GPL is indeed a major refactoring of CBSubs, and a different (upgradable) product, as Nick explained already.

Please keep in mind that when you purchase a software license, you purchase the license, and not the software. Thus as for the CBSubs GPL 3.0 software the license completely changed, it is a different product. We have been careful to make this as clear as possible in our communication and upgrade processes, even if CBSubs GPL is a replacement for CBSubs Non-GPL product, and if things have not been clear about that, I hope that by now they are.

I explained some of the huge benefits of this change and the thought process that lead to the deeply discounted offerings in this post that I'm inviting you to read:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/6-news-and-publicity/217670-cbsubs-30-goes-gpl-?limit=6&start=12#217737

The GPL license and and corresponding business model bring huge benefits with them, but they are not compatible with proprietary business models, e.g. lifetime maintenance proposals for proprietary licenses are possible because of the permanent license control, while in GPL there are no permanent license-controls, they are not possible.

That said, as already stated a few time in this thread, we would like to make you happy personally, thus please get in touch with us using the contact form (link at bottom) and providing your username, so that we can find a satisfactory upgrade path solution on a personal basis which corresponds to your own case.

Looking forward to your personal contact, as we didn't receive any contact yet from you, and that's the only way for us to track and give individual solutions to individual requests.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: TBDESP

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn