Don't understand Group Permissions

11 years 3 months ago #219706 by juliarai
Don't understand Group Permissions was created by juliarai
I have a paid-up member who is responsible for managing subscription payments and renewals, and so needs access to the functionality of CBSubs. She has been assigned to both the Administrator Group (which allows access to CBSubs) and the Registered Group (which denies access to CBSubs). I don't know why she was assigned to both groups by the previous website manager, but she is unable to use CBSubs unless I make her a super user.

Am I right in thinking that if access to CBSubs is denied by ANY group of which she is a member then she is going to be blocked? What will be the effect if I take her out of the Registered Group?

We're using Joomla! 2.5, CB 1.9 and CBSubs 3.0 GPL

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #219808 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Don't understand Group Permissions
By default only Super Users have access. Are you asking how permissions work in general or CBSubs permissions? CBSubs permissions are configured within CBSubs > Settings > Permissions. Shouldn't matter if the user is a member of a higher group and lower group at the same time.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 3 months ago #219989 by juliarai
Replied by juliarai on topic Don't understand Group Permissions
Thank you for your answer.

I understand how permissions work and my question really relates to whether there is a conflict when someone is a member of two groups which are at the same level - Administrator and Registered both have Public as the immediate parent - but have different access rights. If access to CB Subs administration is Allowed for Administrator but Denied for Registered which will take precedence?

In testing I removed the member from the Registered group (access Denied) temporarily and she was able to access CBSubs as a member of Administrator group (access Allowed). When I reinstated her to the Registered group (access Denied), retaining her membership of the Administrator group, she could no longer access CB Subs.

It would be good to have the situation regarding precedence clarified if there is a definitive answer. I will need to work out a group structure that will allow us to give certain members of the site administration team access to CBSubs without giving them full superuser access, which they neither want nor need.

Thank you.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn