Upgrade from CBSubs Lifetime Maint to CBSubs GPL 3.0

11 years 3 months ago #219918 by burnstm
I have to admit, I find Joomlapolis' upgrade policy to CBSubs GPL 3.0 to be extremely disingenuous. Our club purchased a lifetime maintenance plan / license for CBSubs a couple years ago under the pretense that we would not need to constantly pay for upgrades for this software (something that would presumably be important with any software that deals with financial transactions). Now we find out that CBSubs is being "discontinued" and that CBSubs 3.0 is a "new" product that we will need to upgrade to (and pay future annual maint costs of $200/year) to maintain. Sure, we can now have more than 500 users and can use on more than one website, but that means nothing to our club, who will never have that many users or more than one site. Its sounds like too many people signed up for the lifetime maint plan and Joomlapolis realized they couldn't make enough money and decided to pull a bait and switch. Extremely disappointing. :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #219958 by nant

burnstm wrote: I have to admit, I find Joomlapolis' upgrade policy to CBSubs GPL 3.0 to be extremely disingenuous. Our club purchased a lifetime maintenance plan / license for CBSubs a couple years ago under the pretense that we would not need to constantly pay for upgrades for this software (something that would presumably be important with any software that deals with financial transactions). Now we find out that CBSubs is being "discontinued" and that CBSubs 3.0 is a "new" product that we will need to upgrade to (and pay future annual maint costs of $200/year) to maintain. Sure, we can now have more than 500 users and can use on more than one website, but that means nothing to our club, who will never have that many users or more than one site. Its sounds like too many people signed up for the lifetime maint plan and Joomlapolis realized they couldn't make enough money and decided to pull a bait and switch. Extremely disappointing. :(

Read your feedback - thanks for being open and expressing yourself.

Most of the points are accurate except (imo) these 3:

.. that we will need to upgrade to (and pay future annual maint costs of $200/year) to maintain ...

Unlike the proprietary license there is no need to purchase yearly maintenance fees every year.
If you are happy with the version you have and it is working fine for you then you have no need to renew your CBSubs GPL membership when it expires.
You can continue using what you have already downloaded and installed on your website and you can of course also install what you already have on any new sites you want.

If in the future you see a new release of the CBSubs GPL product that you feel you would want to install on your websites, then you can start a new CBSubs GPL membership subscription (no need to bridge the gap as was required with CBSubs proprietary license).

.. I find Joomlapolis' upgrade policy to CBSubs GPL 3.0 to be extremely disingenuous ...

and

.. Joomlapolis realized they couldn't make enough money and decided to pull a bait and switch ...

Of course I do not agree with these statements.
We strongly believe that GPL move is a great move for everyone.

Also if you follow the answers and feedback we have given to other CBSubs proprietary license customers on this thread:

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/6-news-and-publicity/217670-cbsubs-30-goes-gpl

You will see that we honestly and sincerely care that this GPL move works out for everyone.

Please contact us (see contact link on footer) so we can see how to make this work for you as best we can.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn