auto-approval for certain email domains

17 years 8 months ago #19774 by Dumhead
Hi, is it possible for me to allow for automatic approval for registrations using a specified email domain? I manage a site for a company in which employees of all have company email addresses. Some employees may wish to register a non-company email address. But for security, I would like to screen email addresses if they do not come with the company domain.

Is that possible? I am a bit green when it comes to php code, so I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 8 months ago #19781 by woonydanny
Replied by woonydanny on topic Re:auto-approval for certain email domains
this is the joomla 1.0.10 code (taken from joomla.php, about line 2737)

[code:1]if ((trim($this->email == ""«»)) || (preg_match("/[\w\.\-]+@\w+[\w\.\-]*?\.\w{1,4}/", $this->email )==false)) {[/code:1]

Now this is what joomla uses to see if emails are valid emails or not .

If you change this code as fallow you will have:

[code:1]if ((trim($this->email == ""«»)) || (preg_match("/[\w\.\-]+@hotmail.com/", $this->email )==false)) {[/code:1]

now only emails with domain hotmail.com are allowed (or seen as true correct email address)

that’s it….if u try register with an email different from the @hotmail.com it will ask you to input a valid email address.

Now in your case, it wont let other email addresses the opportunity to register.

I would like to know if there is a way to have more than 2 domain names able to register

17 years 8 months ago #19797 by Dumhead
Replied by Dumhead on topic Re:auto-approval for certain email domains

Now in your case, it wont let other email addresses the opportunity to register.

Well... I still want other email address to be able to register... but only pending administrative approval. That is, I don't mind checking for the few employees who never use their company email and use a service like hotmail, gmail, or yahoo. I would just like for the company emails to be approved automatically and all others to be sent for admin approval.

15 years 11 months ago #63445 by ehran
Replied by ehran on topic Re:auto-approval for certain email domains
Hi ,

I would very much be interested in a solution to this as I am in the same situation and would like to auto approve certain domain names but screen others...

Cheers
Ehran

Post edited by: ehran, at: 2008/05/22 13:40

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn