Just how big could a Joomla/CB site be?

17 years 7 months ago #21953 by mediaguru
Just how big could a Joomla/CB site be? was created by mediaguru
My site is far from testing the boundaries of CB/Joom at 1000 members. But I have some possible affiliations with some very big sites which are possible. I may be in a position to where I'd all the sudden add 300,000 members.

The question:

Is there a limit to member numbers where the server, the software, Joom, CB, php, mysql, apache or whatever start to GAG? Does it simply depend on how powerful your server is?

What is the biggest joom site?
What is the biggest CB site?
What is the biggest mysql based site?

Your thoughts?

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #21970 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Just how big could a Joomla/CB site be?
mediaguru wrote:

The question:

Is there a limit to member numbers where the server, the software, Joom, CB, php, mysql, apache or whatever start to GAG? Does it simply depend on how powerful your server is?
[/quote]

Hardware scales pertty well, you can introduce load balancing and make clusters of apache. Same for MySQL. So it scales as long as you can affore more servers and set up clusterign and load balancing.

The only question is if Joomla is coded to support clustering. (If this is not deliberately done, php session will be lost if the load balancer decides that it is time to change session)

What is the biggest mysql based site?

Google is running (a customized version) of mysql with estimated number of 450 000 servers.

mikko

17 years 7 months ago #22005 by anadantra
Replied by anadantra on topic Re:Just how big could a Joomla/CB site be?
I remember one of the remository sites, I think it was mambohut, making a big clean up when they got to 100,000 because it was too difficult to deal with from the back end. They erased everything and you had to register again if really interested.

It is not much, just a hint. Try to contact them, if I am not wrong, they will give you more info.

S.

Danthra.com, working with Joomla since 2004.

17 years 7 months ago #22022 by beat
In Joomla itself, the problems for large number of users have been fixed as of 1.0.11.

Only thing you may want to optimize and monitor your server(s).

CB shouldn't have any problems, and next CB release will be even more optimized.

The server load will depend mainly on in top-down order of priority on:

1) extensions installed (e.g. some calendars and image galleries are CPU/DB hogs)

2) its optimization

3) number of users online simultaneously

We currently estimate our joomlapolis P4 server capable of handling without delays about 500 simultaneous users, and with slight delays about 1000.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn