Registration Errors cuased by 3PD component...

17 years 9 months ago #18451 by shadow42
Hi All,

Note: This isn't really a bug, more of a compatibility issue caused by another component! :( Sorry, I get a bit "verbose"...

I just thought I'd pass on a recent experience I've had with Joomla 1.0.10, Community Builder 1.0, and SuperLog!

I've been running my small Joomla based community site for quite sometime now. I use many components, ut the core ones are: Community Builder & Joomlaboard. Both work very well (though, I've tweaked JB somewhat... ;) ). Anyway, recently I installed a component called SupperLog to collect stats about what my users do on my site so I can work out what bits to keep and what to remove.

Time went by and I recently had some new users try to register. Well, from their end, all looked good, but they couldn't login. When I searched for their usernames in the back-end I couldn't see them, though the user count indicated they should be there. :(

After this the usual Google searches occurred. No dice, though I did find references to issues with the ARO tables not being updated... After fixing the relevant db table data, the users were working as they should. But, it didn't fix the initial problem.

Next I tried creating users in the back-end. Guess what, it worked!!! Well now I was getting somewhere: it's the front end that was borked! So, I re-downloaded Joomla & CB. I WinDiff'ed all the files and they were all identical! Still no closer... :( I even tried using the default Joomla Reg form. Same error! :angry:

Finally, I went through my user list to narrow down the time when the last SUCCESSFUL user registration was. From there, I back tracked to work out which components, modules, etc... had been installed after that time. I started disabling all the components in turn until I found the culprit! Guess what!? It turns out the SuperLog mambot interferes with the ARO functions! This has also solved a few other annoyances!!! :angry: :blink: :laugh:

So have I found out why the SuperLog mambot causes a problem? Not yet, but I intend to! Now where did I get it from again... :whistle:

I think it highlights the fact the not EVERY component, module, or mambot plays nicely in the Joomla world. Joomla, CB, and JB have been TESTED to death with each other and have been proven to work! If you have a problem, work out when it last worked and then what you did after that. I'm sure that will solve many of the "BUGS" reported here. ;)

OK, I’m done now. Sorry about the long rant, but I just want to pass this experience on...

/Andrew
aka The Shadow

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #18462 by nant
nice analysis,

good debuging process,

thanks for sharing ...

B)

17 years 9 months ago #18504 by shadow42
OK, here's an update on my "experience". Soon after I posted the above message, I received this response from TemplatePlazza (the guys who create SuperLog):

Thanks for your email,
We have confirmed this issue and we will release new version soon.
We also have a plan to add several new feature for this superlog.
So just keep in watch

Regards,
TemplatePlazza

Would you believe that I'm partly to blame for this issues? :blush: It turns out, I think, that because I use the non-standard MySQLi based db library for my Joomla site, the SuperLog component (mambot actually, but...) would raise a warning when it tried to do a direct db call. I not sure how this caused an issue with the front-end security, but it did. This seems to be the only place where a direct db function was used; the rest go through Joomla's db layer.

So, just to set the record straight, it was my use of a non-standard library that was the root cause, NOT SuperLog.

This whole experince has thaught my two things:
  1. Always look deeper; the problem may appear at point A, but the root cause could be at point Z (or even B->Y :blink: )
  2. Don't post on a public forum if you are angry! You might have to post a followup appology. :blush:

Post edited by: shadow42, at: 2006/08/10 04:38

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn