phpBB connector and phpBB Bridge

17 years 9 months ago #18034 by the_therapist
phpBB connector and phpBB Bridge was created by the_therapist
I currently used the joomphpBB bridge by Mehdi.

www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm

I like it because it messes the least with phpBB, but forum profiles and avatars are separate from CB ones and I wanted a tab with each users' posts.

I already have the site running, Joomla 1.1.10 and phpBB 2.0.2.1. Would it be easy to switch over to the phpBB connector? I have already merged the users from phpBB into Joomla (phpBB was around before Joomla). The joomphpBB bridge uses a few modifed files and a modified index.php in the forum root to redirect users to Joomla equivalents if they click on "log in", etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #18076 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB connector and phpBB Bridge
Not real sure how the move would be. I have only briefly peeked at Medhi's bridge.

Our connector is setup to work with the base Joomla/CB setup (CB login versus Joomla) with no user modified files. It also requires a stand-alone version of phpBB (not phpBB Component at this time) which is installed in the same website and database as Joomla/CB.

Any files which were modified for Medhi's plugin would probably need to revert back to their original form. I don't think he modifies the tables so I don't think there is anything there unless you have them in seperate databases.

Currently we have a known issue with the Mail2Forum mod for phpbb... working on a fix and the CH modded phpbb does not get everything updated (last registered user...) but it does work with the plugin.

I will try get take a peek at what he requires if I get a chance... then answer back with a more complete answer.

Hope this helps,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

17 years 9 months ago #18098 by the_therapist
Replied by the_therapist on topic Re:phpBB connector and phpBB Bridge
I have separate installations of both and the reside in the same DB and the phpBb tables have not been altered.

The Mehdi bridge uses a table joomphpbb to ties Joomla user ids to phpBB ones.

The site is running right now at www.drbishop.ca.

Problems with Mehdi bridge (things that are good about yours):
  • Doesn't update both user tables at registration. New users register with Joomla but don't show up in phpBB until the first time they visit forum.
  • No CB plugin to show user's posts (but this would not be too hard to do)
  • Need separate avatar for each system as well as profile info (but you can redirect to CB profile if phpBB link is clicked)

Things I like about Mehdi's bridge:
  • Header redirects for login, register, etc. to Joomla CB equivalents
  • Can integrate the forum into Joomla easily (one setting in config).
  • Works!

I'll start testing the connector on my test server and see if it goes smnoothly and let you know.

Post edited by: the_therapist, at: 2006/08/02 23:11

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn