Need to use Joomla Login

18 years 4 months ago #1826 by slinky
Need to use Joomla Login was created by slinky
OK -- this belongs in a group of different categories and basically involves my need to use the standard login module because I have a vbulletin integration of my Joomla site and my forums. I had installed CB RC1 which required installing the CB login module and which did not properly allow me to login into vbulletin or register when using my bridge.

My request is that we are able to use or convert the standard login module for Joomla to use in CB, or in the alternative, have an understanding of what we may need to do in order to make changes to the standard Joomla login so that it won't destroy the vbulletin integration (bbpixel) that is working incredibly well for us.

Why exactly are we required to use a different login form? I am assuming because this will allow you to add in extra fields into the login like you have right now. That's great but it also means that we will need one integrated login point that works successfully with all modules and I was wondering why CBs is the only one that doesn't seem to work with the BB pixel plugin.

Now it is possible that making changes to the CB login form and using it might work and might to be the most likely path to take. I'm wondering how many people here are using vbulletin or forums other than simplemachines and consolidating the forums login. Hopefully we can get this portion to work successfully.

Thanks and look forward to being able to put the community builder back up on our sites!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #1829 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Need to use Joomla Login
I'm not sure what the vbulletin and simplemachines are using the standard joomla/mambo login. Most likely they have hacked/patched it to bridge into their application's authentication system.
If the changes made are indeed isolated in the Mambo/Joomla login module one could migrate these changes into the CB Login logic. I am aware that predator is (or was) working on a CB vbridge. The simplemachine folks dont see this as high priority at the moment.

18 years 4 months ago #1835 by JoomlaJoe
Replied by JoomlaJoe on topic Re:Need to use Joomla Login
This is also one of the primary reasons why the plugin system was implemented. I don't know anything about vBulliten or SimpleMachine authorization methods but I'm sure its pretty straight forward to whip up a plugin to tie the logins together. Theoretically with CB as your base platform you could login to vBulliten, Simple Machine, and just about everything else you wanted from a single login point. This is the power and flexibility of our new login system.

Now as to why we require our own login system, there are a number of reasons. 1.) We control the link to the registration page which can be significately extended to suite the needs of your community. 2) Upon logging in we perform/enforce extra things such as Approval of accounts, etc.

Now over the years people have critized this but this is the decision that we believe is best given our current supported features as well as our road map. We will continue to evaluate this but for the near future its here to stay.

JoomlaJoe *The developer formally known as MamboJoe*
CB Core Team

18 years 4 months ago #1848 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:Need to use Joomla Login
Hey JoomlaJoe,

Let me first say thank you for an amazing product. Second let me say that the whole concept of having a centralized login, authorization, approval etc is an awesome concept. in the past you had to have a bridge and a login for the forum then a bridge and a login for this and one for that. Then you start having conflicts with the bridges or the logins.

I know that the plugin API is going to resolve a lot of this but the problem / frustration right now is that while we have this great central point for everything to go through there is very little to support it. And when you talk to some developers they don't seem to get it. One of the most commen comments is that you don't really need CB as you can just extend the profiles of this forum or that forum to do the same thing.

My feeling is that someone on the inside needs to start a public relations campaign, go to all the major developers that your solution will/could intigrate with, then educate them on what CB is really all about and the advantage of writing the APIs to intigrate and bridge theirs together wiith CB. Until some of these holdouts see the light some of us may be wating around until hell freezes over for our favorite app to get CB support. This PR would be good for you, good for the other venders, and ultimatley good for the entire community.

Just my 2 cents,

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn