Multiple value upload feature for drop down list

16 years 8 months ago #43997 by t.jenner
Thought I would post here because I'm quite new to this open source stuff. I've just spent a considerable amount of time using phpMyAdmin to insert some rather long value lists requested by a client for some drop down menus. Essentially cutting and the pasting the values in separately using 'add value' button was going to be a bit tedious so I just converted his list to an sql statement and ran it via phpMyAdmin. Hardly ground breaking I know and there were a few problems.

What I was thinking about was actually building the functionality into the CB back end where users could cut and paste a comma separated list and the system would then insert the values into the specified list.

I'm quite happy to undertake this work, probably will anyway and as I understand it have to make any modified code I come up with publicly available under the terms of the GNU license. What I was wondering is

1) If anyone is already working on something like this?

and

2) If there is some kind of development area or something to which I can submit this code as oppose to just posting it on my own site? :dry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #44009 by beat
I'm not very happy with the multiple values handling of CB in the backend.

Although quite user-friendly with a small number of values, it's becomming a nightmare with lots of values (well after some point it becomes a nightmare for the front-end user too :D ).

You can sure make improvement proposals here :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 8 months ago #44016 by t.jenner
Yes, I can see it could also get tricky if you wanted to change the ordering of a long list at a later stage. Far simpler if users could export to a csv then maybe use Excel to shift the values around and then paste new values back in or even do it via the CB back end. Still, first things first. I'll work up some modified source code for just the basics and see what I can come up with. If people like it then who knows? Should give me a chance to get a bit more intimate with the code and stuff.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn