pluginsfiles install problem and workround

15 years 10 months ago #66162 by sitsinthestands
pluginsfiles install problem and workround was created by sitsinthestands
I installed 1.2 RC on my remote server using a directory install (rather than a package). However, it failed, reporting an error on pluginsfiles.tar (or pluginsfiles.tgz?) which meant that the second step was not completed. I solved the problem by:

1 deleting the temporary file in the media/install directory that is mentioned in the (unhelpful) error message

2 deleting the file pluginsfiles.tar in the administrator/components/com_comprofiler directory

3 uploading the components/com_comprofiler/plugin directory from a local installation of Joomla and CB to the remote server. In my local installation I can use the package approach to installation. This directory basically contains the contents of the pluginsfiles.tar compressed file which is inside pluginsfiles.tgz in the distributed zip file. I suspect that simply extracting the contents and uploading would also work provided all the contents go into the plugin directory as indicated above.

I hope this helps someone else and stops them wasting a load of time. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #66167 by nant
May I ask why you needed to do a directory install?

Tested it and it works in my environment.

15 years 10 months ago #66243 by sitsinthestands
Replied by sitsinthestands on topic Re:pluginsfiles install problem and workround
I'm using a Linux VPS for my remote server and it doesn't unzip anything hence I can't use the package install. I don't know why it won't; I've never found the pre-requisites for doing a package install. Maybe it's because safe mode is ON. So I do a directory install which worked fine until the zipped file inside the CB com_comprofiler kit.

15 years 10 months ago #66244 by nant
sitsinthestands wrote:

I'm using a Linux VPS for my remote server and it doesn't unzip anything hence I can't use the package install. I don't know why it won't; I've never found the pre-requisites for doing a package install. Maybe it's because safe mode is ON. So I do a directory install which worked fine until the zipped file inside the CB com_comprofiler kit.

Yup, safe mode is one problem.

With Joomla 1.5.X you need to have FTP layer enabled.

15 years 10 months ago #66261 by sitsinthestands
Replied by sitsinthestands on topic Re:pluginsfiles install problem and workround
My ISP won't allow safe_mode to be off (for security reasons) and it really should not be necessary. FTP layer is enabled. My workround doesn't actually install the plugins it just gets past the installation problem. If you want the plugins you probably need to install them via the CB plugin installer. Then you come across the problem with the need to have the FTP user name and password embedded in the configuration.php that I have reported in a separate posting.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn