Only email for registration/login

15 years 9 months ago #68296 by nhudell
Replied by nhudell on topic Re:Only email for registration/login
Something else to consider is the Password Reminder page.

The Password Reminder page requires the user to enter both their Username and Email.

If users become accustomed to logging in with their email, this could be confusing.

Maybe a simplified screen where the user only needs to enter their email address and have their password sent to them could be better.

I guess the only problem is if the same email address is used for multiple user accounts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #68303 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Only email for registration/login
btushar wrote:

Hi Nick,

There is one problem though.
When I set to use only email in the Configuration, the registration page still asks for the username.
I think that it also not needs to disappear automatically from the registration page and the username should be automatically populated with the email id of the user when this setting is used.

What do you think?

Regards,
Tushar

I think that you should mark the username field (in the CB Field Management area) Show on Registration to No.

15 years 9 months ago #68304 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Only email for registration/login
nhudell wrote:

Something else to consider is the Password Reminder page.

The Password Reminder page requires the user to enter both their Username and Email.

If users become accustomed to logging in with their email, this could be confusing.

Maybe a simplified screen where the user only needs to enter their email address and have their password sent to them could be better.

I guess the only problem is if the same email address is used for multiple user accounts.

Joomla and CB will not allow the same email address to be used.

Will recheck the other issue and post back.

15 years 9 months ago #68307 by nhudell
nant wrote:

I think that you should mark the username field (in the CB Field Management area) Show on Registration to No.

Good idea, this does work perfectly.

The only issue with this change is that if you have just the Name, Email, Password fields at registration, the Name must be unique, because it also becomes the Username.

So if a user enters a common name, like John, they will get refused.

So my suggestion to other CB users is to disable Name, and use Username. I believe that to the common web user, if they read Name, they will try and enter their normal name, perhaps just their first name. This would lead to a difficult registration process in large websites.

However, if the user reads Username, they are more likely to use a handle, and more understanding if they get refused at registration.

In other words, most people understand that a Username is unique. But Name is not unique.

Thanks for your help nant!

15 years 9 months ago #68325 by btushar
Replied by btushar on topic Re:Only email for registration/login
You may replace the line 1048 of the file \administrator\components\com_comprofiler\library\cb\cb.tables.php
[code:1]
$this->username = $this->name;
[/code:1]
with the following switch
[code:1]
switch ( isset( $ueConfig ) ? $ueConfig : 0 ) {
default:
case 0:
$this->username = $this->name;
break;
case 1:
case 2:
$this->username = $this->email;
break;
}
[/code:1]
to resolve the problem of the unique name.

if the username is empty
if from the CB configuiration you have selected the Login Type = "Username or Email" or "Email"
then
default username = email
else
default username = name

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tushar

15 years 9 months ago #68327 by nhudell
Hi Tushar, I like the sound of this, although editing the core files sounds a little scarry!

My only thought is that is the username or name field is empty or not displayed, then the other field (username/name) will be filled in automatically by CB with the same data.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn