BUG with SEARCH and IE7

15 years 9 months ago #69745 by wrongjon
BUG with SEARCH and IE7 was created by wrongjon
Hi
Is this a bug?
In IE7 search a CB list and when you click the drop down list on a "select list" field you get

1) No prefernce
2) Is
3) Is one of

When you choose 3) in IE7 you still only get shown a single select drop down list instead of the multi select. Even if you choose a correct value the results cannot find the users.

Works fine in firefox.

Please advise :)

Also on Safari for windows none of the ajax stuff works.

Regards
Jonathan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #69779 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:BUG with SEARCH and IE7
Are you sure it's not due to a javascript interference with your template or a module or mambot generating javascript ?

Please try switching to default template, unpublish javascript modules/plugins, and try again and reply back with your findings :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #71373 by wrongjon
Replied by wrongjon on topic Re:BUG with SEARCH and IE7
Hi Beat.

Sorry been on holiday.

OK I have installed a fresh copy of Joomla 1.5.6 today and just Community Builder 1.2 RC2 and here are my findings after playing with it all afternoon.

If I create some user fields using single select list and multi select list and populate and make searchable I have identified the following issues.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not installed anything else and am using the default Joomla template.

When using the CB user list feature and searching using these select lists...

1) Firefox is fine with both select list types and all search variations. With single select if you change search preference to "is one of" the offering changes to a multi-select list as you would expect.

2) Safari for windows - when you choose a search preference you do not get any offerings unless you sometimes double click the field control so its as if the selecting event is not triggering. Safari for windows is not a concern for me but thought I'd let you know.

3) What is more important are the two bugs I have found with IE6 and IE7:

3a) With single select if you change search preference to either "is" or "is one of" the offering is always just a single select list so you cannot search for multiple values. (firefox is fine)

3b) With single select if you choose "is" and search for an item that has a space in the word like "New York" as a US state it works fine. If you then choose "is on of" and do the same test on New York is shows no results and I believe the issue here is that in this scenario IE6 and IE7 are missing something in the URL CB creates.

Firefox uses "...&cb_usstate%5B%5D=NEW+YORK...."
IE6 and IE7 uses "....&cb_usstate=NEW+YORK...."

So IE is missing the "%5B%5D" which when added manually makes it work.

I carried out the same tests using a multi select list which works fine in both Firefox and IE because it does generate the same "%5B%5D" in all browsers.

How do we get IE to add those UR encodings for single select lists when we choose "is one of" please?

I'm really trying to get this new community site live for 1st Sept deadline so if you can provide a quick fix for the IE7 issues that would be so great... am happy to tweak the code this end if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help
Jonathan

15 years 8 months ago #71402 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:BUG with SEARCH and IE7
First of all, many thanks for your very detailed errors report.

Very few users even saw the changes when searching for one-of in a single select ;)

I don't have a quick-fix in mind yet, as looking at your report, it *looks like* an IE bug, where it doesn't handle properly input arrays in a GET form (it does handle correctly for a POST form, but we switched to GET forms, to workaround another IE bug with the back button in users-lists searches, otherwise IE doesn't work in back button...).

If you could provide an example with a search of 2 towns, e.g. New York or Chicago, could help here actually.

%5B%5D is the url-encoding for []

and [] is needed by PHP to detect an array as a parameter.

I'm wondering how the url looks when you search for New York or Chicago in IE 6 and in IE 7 vs FF ?

Anyone any idea how to fix that ?

I'll be moving this to identified issue, after your reply (once i move it you can't reply to the thread).

Many thanks for your cooperation.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #71445 by wrongjon
Hi Beat
Thanks for the quick reply :)

OK here we go.....

Firefox
Searching a single select list using "Is one of" for two US states.

/index.php/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&Itemid=82&limitstart=0&listid=6&search=&username__srmch=&username=&firstname__srmch=&firstname=&lastname__srmch=&lastname=&cb_countrylist__srmch=&cb_countrylist=&cb_usstate__srmch=anyis&cb_usstate%5B%5D=NEW+YORK&cb_usstate%5B%5D=TENNESSEE&city__srmch=&city=&cb_currentemployer__srmch=&cb_currentemployer=&cb_uniattended__srmch=&cb_uniattended=&cb_discipline__srmch=&cb_discipline=&cb_employmentstatus__srmch=&cb_employmentstatus=&cb_availability__srmch=&cb_availability=&cb_contactmeaboutopps__srmch=&cb_regionsshortterm__srmch=&cb_regionspermanent__srmch=&cbsecuritym2=cbm_72bc0de0_3f9cddac_1d8c57c4ca07869d0a0c0b83b1c2779d

The important part is: "&cb_usstate__srmch=anyis&cb_usstate%5B%5D=NEW+YORK&cb_usstate%5B%5D=TENNESSEE"

I cannot replicate this search in IE6 or IE& like I said due to an AJAX bug I also identified that doesnt show the multi select list for you to choose multiple values. You ALWAYS just get a single select drop down in IE.

But in IE searching for just one US State it looks like:

/index.php/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&Itemid=82&limitstart=0&listid=6&search=&username__srmch=&username=&firstname__srmch=&firstname=&lastname__srmch=&lastname=&cb_countrylist__srmch=&cb_countrylist=&cb_usstate__srmch=anyis&cb_usstate=NEW+YORK&city__srmch=&city=&cb_currentemployer__srmch=&cb_currentemployer=&cb_uniattended__srmch=&cb_uniattended=&cb_discipline__srmch=&cb_discipline=&cb_employmentstatus__srmch=&cb_employmentstatus=&cb_availability__srmch=&cb_availability=&cb_contactmeaboutopps__srmch=&cb_regionsshortterm__srmch=&cb_regionspermanent__srmch=&cbsecuritym2=cbm_56646c7f_77e5f576_e6823702523adf0640d3760617d0a5ce

The important part is : "&cb_usstate__srmch=anyis&cb_usstate=NEW+YORK"

Which is missing the vital %5B%5D

If I manually add that in to my URL it then finds the New York members fine.

Also if I copy the correct URL from Firefox and add in this "&cb_usstate%5B%5D=NEW+YORK&cb_usstate%5B%5D=TENNESSEE"

IE finds both members in those states fine.

So.... How come the multi select lists work fine in both IE and Firefox.... they both have those array encodings in the URL so it scan;t be a bug with the browser. I think you need to look at and focus on that one scenario for a single select list object when used with the "Is one of" option and see if you can see an obvious mistake there. ;)

Also this is a separate issue to why in IE it does not real the multi list option when you choose that option in the search criteria... Is that an AJAX bug.. on the event for that type of search control?

I really appreciate your help. Its such a great product.

If we cant solve this then how easy is it to just remove the "Is one of" option from single select fields when searching.

Kind regards
Jonathan

15 years 6 months ago #78139 by wrongjon
Hi Beat
Any idea if this is a known bug with IE that you can fix.
Site has gone live now and clients moaning :)
Is it fixed in RC3?
Am using RC2 on live sites so is RC3 stable enough to upgrade to?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn