AOL & YAHOO users not receiving email from site ..

15 years 6 months ago #78016 by IAAF
I have been experiencing a problem mostly with YAHOO and AOL email addresses when they try to register on my site - they are NOT receiving the confirmation email, so their account never gets activated. I have been manually 'unblocking' them and changing confirmation email to 'yes' for each one of these users (under the admin - Components - Community Builder - User Management) and then sending them an email from my account to let them know that they can now log on.

Why would this particular group not receive confirmation emails while others do. I have also just realized that they are not receiving ANY emails from the joomla site, such as through the CB profile message capability. I've tested it with a few people and they are not receiving anything. I'm probably guessing that they would not receive newsletters as well - or any email sent via the joomla website.

Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening?

YAHOO and AOL users make up about 20-25% of our users so this is having quite an impact on support. I just don't understand why the other 80% have no problem whatsoever. This makes me think my configuration is OK but there is something conflicting with configurations on servers hosting the YAHOO or AOL mail. Can this be fixed from my side? If yes, how?

Is it possible that certain mail servers (like AOL) refuse script email or whatever is sent by CB? Or are the emails sent by Joomla? Either way, is there anything in the works that will replace the way email is sent? by either joomla or CB?

Post edited by: IAAF, at: 2008/10/23 03:48

Post edited by: IAAF, at: 2008/10/23 03:54

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #78082 by Rapunzl
It is likely both Yahoo and AOL are filtering the messages as spam. Some servers require you to use an actual email address, rather than an email address that is bounced to a default email address, so make sure you actually activate the email address in CPanel or Plesk.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

15 years 6 months ago #78097 by IAAF
Thanks so much - you made me think of how I have mail configured within the global configuration file. Right now I have it set as follows from GLOBAL CONFIGURATION > MAIL tab

mailer = PHP mail function
Mail from = support@ourdomainname.com
From Name = myname
Sendmail Path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
smtp auth = NO
SMTP User = <left blank>
SMTP Pass = <left blank>
SMTP Host = localhost

Should I have this set to something else? Could this actually be the problem or is the configuration settings incorrect. Would 'sendmail' or 'smtp server' be a more compatible choice vs PHP mail function?

I just realized I had to also go into the CB configuration and change the

Registration Email Name,
Registration Email Address and
Registration Reply to Email Address

under the Registration tab.

Post edited by: IAAF, at: 2008/10/24 15:56

Post edited by: IAAF, at: 2008/10/24 16:12

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn