Name Format Conflict?

15 years 6 months ago #76986 by towerone
Name Format Conflict? was created by towerone
Hi I have set the Name Format to 'Name Only'in the config and set the First and Last Name fields as mandatory for registration but not shown on the profile page. So my profile page shows a header eg John Doe Profile Page and the name is not repeated elsewhere on the page.

But on the registration page, the Fist Name and Last Names icons show them to be Mandatory BUT they 'Not shown on Profile Page' icon is also shown.

Its true that these specific fields are not shown on the profile page but it is not true that the users first and last names are not shown on the profile because I selected 'Name Only' in the config.

So how do I either change the icon for the registration page or delete the icon completely please?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #77258 by towerone
Replied by towerone on topic Re:Name Format Conflict?
Anyone got a solution for this please?

15 years 6 months ago #77270 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Name Format Conflict?
It looks like your CB database and configuration isn't in a consistant state.

Either someone edited something in SQL or something got incoherente.

You can't be in "name only" mode and have first and last name fields even published. So what you have is inconsistent.

If you want first and last name, then you need to go to CB configuration and select that setting as name format. You don't have to put them to the profile, or if you need them in users-lists, then you can put them in a new tab that you put in a "not on profile" position.

Once the configuration is done and saved, then go to CB tools -> check CB database, and if anything is flagged red fix it (of course backup database as suggested first).

Please note that if you have users registered already, you will need to manually copy the name field of jos_user SQL table into first and last name fields of jos_comprofiler SQL table.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 6 months ago #77313 by towerone
Hi beat, sorry but I dont understand.

Frst of all I used all three database checks in Tools and all are fine.

So I have Name Format set to Name Only. According to the cods "display full names instead of usernames"... and so it does because it shows my profiule page as 'Andy Wood profile page' (which is what I want it to say).

Then in field management first name and last name (both predefined) are set to be required AND not to show on the profile. Otherwise the Profile page says Andy Wood profile page and then someplace under that it says First Name: Andy, Last Name: Wood. So it repeats.

But on registration, because I have forst name and last name fields set NOT to show on profile, the icons tell the user registering that their first and last names will not show on their profile. But that is not true!

So from your answer, I dont understand why "You can't be in "name only" mode and have first and last name fields even published".

Can you explain a little more please?

Thanks

15 years 6 months ago #77325 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Name Format Conflict?
I've ran into this problem before. TBH the show on profile icon is just dumb. If you manually display a field on the profile then setting this option will screw you either way. If it's set NOT to show. Then the user is mis-informed. If it's set to show then you get duplicate display.

This doesn't bother those who are ONLY displaying fields through CB, but if you're doing what I've done, which is diplay the fields using my own plugin or editing the core pages directly to show the field. Then you're screwed.

Solution? Go into CB config on backend and actually disable the display of that icon. Now your users aren't mis-informed and you don't get duplicate display.

If users have a problem. Then they shouldn't sign up. It's a social network. Privacy is GONE, lol.

Forgot to mention I also informed the user on each field that's required as to what it's required for. My advice is to do the same and just not bother with the show on profile icon.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/10/14 19:14

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 6 months ago #77472 by towerone
Thanks krileon. I switched off the icons other than information and required, and then added a fuller explanation of each field.

cheers

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn