Bad pw w/ JFusion

15 years 6 months ago #77751 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Bad pw w/ JFusion
bobbank wrote:

We've confirmed this problem on two different servers and three different installations. If you follow these steps I am confident you will see it as well.

I'm not sure why it would be any different with SMF - only thing I can think of is that SMF password forward doesn't require that extra hash, so perhaps you simply don't see this behavior they way you would with a phpBB board.

could be - I have forwarded Marius this thread - maybe you should also post detailed on the jfusion forum.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #77765 by bobbank
Replied by bobbank on topic Re:Bad pw w/ JFusion
Hi Nick,

Yes, I have also posted on JFusion. But I think the solution will rest with CB Login. After all, if I use the Joomla default login module, there is no issue. So it isn't something that JFusion is doing wrong. As long as JFusion's own authentication plugin is referred to, I believe it works out.

That's why I was hoping to perhaps get some more insight here, as to how CB Login handles the login procedure. Then I noticed it uses its own function for Login. So I believe that the CB devs perhaps have hard-coded some tasks which could better be handled by deferring to the current authentication plugin.

But I don't have the php knowledge to understand (from the code) whether my hypothesis is correct or not. So I was hoping for guidance here.

An alternate suggestion, which I mentioned to Marius, is that he can build the password conversion into his user sync process, in addition to having it as part of his authentication. That would probably solve this issue.

However, I have some concern that if CB is ignoring portions of the current authentication plugin, that might be a recipe for further difficulty down the road. So, from my point of view (which should be considered noobish and not well-informed!), it seems like fixing the CB Login is the most appropriate route. I would try doing so myself, to test my ideas, but I lack the knowledge of php to do it. :(

Post edited by: bobbank, at: 2008/10/19 17:53

15 years 6 months ago #77828 by bobbank
Replied by bobbank on topic Re:Bad pw w/ JFusion
nant wrote:

I have SMF forum and CB login works just fine with JFusion.

Nick-

Unfortunately we have confirmed that the identical problem occurs with SMF. In your testing, please try the following:

1. Start out with clean installs of everything.
2. Create some test users in SMF.
3. Run JFusion usersync per instructions.
4. Sync CB if appropriate.
5. Attempt to log in using CB Login.

Note: to replicate this error, CB Login must be your very first attempt to log into the site. (This is because either the Joomla default login or JFusion login will correctly defer to the JFusion authentication plugin, which prevents this from ever becoming an issue.)

If you follow these steps, you will get a "bad password" error. The reason is because the password, fresh off the import from SMF, is still not in the correct format for Joomla to recognize. Only the JFusion authentication plugin can fix this, but it is apparently bypassed by CB Login.

This may seem like an overly contrived scenario. But it is exactly what any user who is attempting to migrate from an existing phpBB or SMF site toward a Joomla-based solution would face. That would likely include users come from a portal site.

In my case, I have about 200 users on my forums, and I do not currenly user Joomla or CB, but would love to use both. So, if I move to a Joomla+CB+phpBB solution, none of my users will be able to login without resetting their passwords.

Practically speaking, I can think of a number of work-arounds. But, my concern is that if CB Login bypasses a part of Joomla's model like that, it seems to expose us to the possibility that any other extension which modifies authentication procedure could run into similar errors.

(We could be totally misunderstanding the nature of the problem - but this is what we have been able to come up with so far, based on examining the code and watching the behaviors.)

15 years 6 months ago #77832 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Bad pw w/ JFusion
Well, my test site seems to work ok.
I will pm you with URL so you can register and test on your own.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn