Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Blarg! Cannot Get Comprofiler Installed!

• wixenstyx
  • wixenstyx
15 years 6 months ago #77886 by wixenstyx
Blarg! Cannot Get Comprofiler Installed! was created by wixenstyx
Okay... I know that a couple of other people seem to be having similar problems here, but reading through their threads hasn't helped me.

I developed a Joomla! 1.5.7 site locally and just moved it all to its production site today. No one is really using it yet, and I had installed 1.2 RC2 on it. This seemed to be working okay, but for some reason one of the user lists I'd set up mysteriously refused to display a couple of fields. Noting that RC3 was out, I decided that rather than fiddle with it to figure out what was wrong, I would go ahead and upgrade.

So I sat down to do this tonight... and I've set up CB on dozens of sites without a lot of confusion, so I was reasonably confident. I did the ue_config backup and went to install Comprofiler, only to get the following dreaded error:

JInstaller::install: Failed to copy file: (path)/tmp/install_48fd7ce91ddbf/library/cb/cb.installer.php to (path)/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php

Turning on FTP only produced a JFTP:: store: Bad Response error, as others have reported.

I've gone up and down the complaining directory tree and set everything to 777, but this hasn't helped. I've never run into this before. :/

I gather that 1.2 RC2 was buggy, so I'd like to get this sorted out before the site starts attracting traffic. Meh.

Post edited by: wixenstyx, at: 2008/10/21 09:12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
15 years 6 months ago #77900 by beat
In non-ftp mode: Looks really like an ownership/permissions problem on folder creation (e.g. wrong default values in php).

In ftp mode: Looks like the FTP access isn't set properly.

You also need to manually delete those folders after a failed installation before trying again:

administrator/components/com_comprofiler
components/com_comprofiler

to do this you might fail from hosting panel and need a joomlaxplorer or similar to do it from the web process.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• wixenstyx
  • wixenstyx
15 years 6 months ago #77914 by wixenstyx
Replied by wixenstyx on topic Re:Blarg! Cannot Get Comprofiler Installed!
Well, after the failed install, neither of those folders exists. At least, they are not appearing in the directory list, either on FTP or when logged into the shell.

FTP access is set up properly. I can use it in other applications, just not this. In general I don't bother, though. I've never needed it. :/

I don't use a hosting panel; I tend to work directly from the shell or using an FTP client. (Captain FTP in my case.)

What 'wrong default values in php' should I be looking for? This is a rebuild of a previous site that was running J1.0.x, and the account did just fine before.

Here's the system info. I don't know that it will help, but in case it matters:

PHP Built on: Linux deblume 2.6.24.2-grsec-p4-peon-1.1.2-grsec #1 SMP Wed Feb 20 15:30:29 PST 2008 i686
Database Version: 5.0.67-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.6
Web Server: Apache/2.0.61 (Unix) PHP/4.4.7 mod_ssl/2.0.61 OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.7 Production/Stable [ Wovusani ] 9-September-2008 23:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092414 Firefox/3.0.3

I've got my host on the line and he's going to try to help me, but any more specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

• wixenstyx
  • wixenstyx
15 years 6 months ago #77949 by wixenstyx
Replied by wixenstyx on topic Re:Blarg! Cannot Get Comprofiler Installed!
Okay... It's fixed now.

While I'm sure the circumstances that led to my issue here were pretty hard to come by (as it was the product of a lack of knowledge on my part..but hey, I've learned a lot while fixing it!), I'll explain what we did to fix the issue anyway. Maybe it will help someone else, someday. ;)

It was an ownership situation here. This was the first site I'd developed on one machine and then attempted to move. When I moved it, all I did was zip up the files and export the db. This WORKED, insofar as the site did appear with the appropriate graphics and content once I'd finished, but it left me unable to make material changes, add components, etc. Apparently moving the site this way made a mess of my file ownership situation.

This is where my lack of knowledge played in. I have now learned that where file ownership is concerned, the Apache/PHP login and the FTP login are regarded as two different entities, even though they are represented by the same username and password. In trying to upload comprofiler, one user was effectively trying to create files in a directory owned by the other, which resulted in errors.

We wiped the production site account, installed a clean version of J1.5 via FTP on the production site account with the FTP layer enabled, then FTP'ed the files from the development site to the production site. Now it works fine.

Man, this web development stuff is COMPLICATED. ;) Why didn't anyone tell me? :lol:

• CARLO_BAT
  • CARLO_BAT
15 years 6 months ago #78017 by CARLO_BAT
Replied by CARLO_BAT on topic Re:Blarg! Cannot Get Comprofiler Installed!
Hi, I received the same error, and everytime I try to install from the tmp directory on host, I received the same error but for a different file for every installation.
I have a clean Joomla 1.5.7 installation on the server.
I have not understand what I have to do.
Can you help me?
I'm a novice both on php and on joonla.
Is there a way to do a completed manual installation of CB?
Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

• beat
  • beat
15 years 6 months ago #78023 by beat
It's usually a unix-ownership issue on unfortunately a large portion of not optimized web-servers. :(

Joomla 1.5 has 2 modes for installation: with or without FTP layer. If one doesn't work, then usually the other works on such hosts. Once you have a working setup, you shouldn't change the mode, as it could again not work...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon