CB 2 Should be optimized for J 1.5, J1.6

13 years 6 months ago #145410 by latino
Hi All:

Will post this to start a discussion (as end user) about what (platform) CB should be focused. Some arguments could generate controversy or opposite opinions. What I would like is the platform to evolve, to renovate and to be optimized. Please note I am not a developer.

I am not sure if this have been stated but my strongest point is that Community Builder 2 should only support Joomla 1.5, Joomla 1.6. It is time to drop support for Joomla 1.0 and Mambo.

By focusing on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6, I am confident the platform could benefit from features introduced in those versions. Sometimes is easy to find why to keep support for older versions. Moreover if there are still some users relying on those older platforms. However, IMO that could be causing a slower development for CB.

Sometimes there are difficult decisions regarding software. When Apple decided to move on and left their proprietary OS for adopting the Linux Kernel. Vision requires to move on, to move into the future.

I like a lot CB but, I feel it is loosing appeal. Also, the strongest message that CB is being renovated (IMO) is derived from a determination to support Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6.

Finally, it have been stated many times. A renovated forum is in order many times ago. If possible, that could be matched by a renovated website.

Don't get mad with me. Please. I am just trying to present a point of view.

Regards!

B)

Post edited by: latino, at: 2010/11/03 02:10

Post edited by: latino, at: 2010/11/03 02:14

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #145431 by beat
Very good points, agreeing. Why should we get mad ? :)

Some factual news to share:

- Our new website is almost ready now finally, new more professional content and new forum of course are there, it is currently undergoing final qualifications and tests :)

- CB 2.0 development is focussing on Joomla 1.6, and is an overhaul of CB 1.2. The backend rewrite is mostly done. It is actually fully in use already in CBSubs 1.0 !!, and we have implemented on an improved MVC frontend, which is in use in CBSubs 1.1 RC releases (stable release soon now), so that CB 2.0 will be benefiting vastly of research and development work done within CBSubs pretty soon.

- As a visible commitment, CB 1.2.3 already runs on Joomla 1.6 betas, although not yet using the new features of Joomla 1.6 fully.

- CB 2.0 will be introducing new concepts and features, without the "legacy" constraints of CB 1.2.x.

We are mostly on track on our resolutions for year 2010 :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 6 months ago #145557 by latino
Replied by latino on topic Re:CB 2 Should be optimized for J 1.5, J1.6
Hi Beat:

Thank you very much! It makes clear now the direction the project is being moved. It also, shows it is moving forward towards Joomla 1.6 (and on time).

B)

13 years 6 months ago #145573 by nant
I would also like to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

First of all we very seldom get mad with community comments and criticism - usually we get frustrated (because we tend to agree). But we welcome community involvement in any form and shape ;)

The face that CB still works on Mambo and all Joomla flavors also provides some useful information for users. First of all the fact that we are committed to support our existing user-base and help them along to migrate to whatever CMS they feel has the best future or suits their needs. Having said that, it doesn't mean we will be continuing this concept for ever. Example: mamboblog extension support (which is not available in Joomla 1.5 environment) will most likely be dropped in CB 2.0. Similar decisions will most likely follow for other "dead" extensions directly supported in CB.

Also, it should be noted that by supporting these 3 different code bases we have built a very nice framework layer in CB that can be extended to work with different underlying CMS environments (Wordpress anyone - just kidding but feasible). Those that have followed the Joomla 1.6 story know that there are significant changes in its API that will most likely cause many Joomla 1.5 compatible extensions to fail as Joomla 1.6 extensions. So the fact that the CB Framework can be adapted to work on different CMS environments already gives us a head start towards Joomla 1.6 native compatibility. This is also a great environment for third party CB plugin developers, since their properly developed plugins will work in any CMS environment that CB supports.

The Community Builder project currently has 3 full-time workers dedicated to furthering the project and supporting the 350K+ Joomlapolis use-base. This full-time team maximizes community volunteering because it creates an environment where one volunteer does not depend on another volunteer. This way everyone feels much more productive and the average community member gains the most.

The CB Project has managed to self-finance itself, thus keeping the core CB package free and GPL (always has been) for everyone. The Joomlapolis offerings: CB Documentation subscriptions (detailed documentation and 14 GPL team add-ons - with 16+ incubator limited time only access), our fast templates , our serious hosting packages and CBSubs - the most powerful subscriptions based membership solution around for Joomla have been helping us keep CB going.

CBSubs has also helped us further some exciting research work which will find its way into CB 2.0. The team is very excited with this concept.

CB 2.0 will also be accepting input from professional designers (we already have a couple of volunteers) to make the new CB environment better looking, and easier to customize and template.

As Beat mentioned our new website is almost ready for release - this will give everyone a much needed boost and will make things easier to find.

For all these reasons we are - as a team - very excited and are pushing things forward as fast and as robust and high-quality oriented as always.

Post edited by: nant, at: 2010/11/05 11:45

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn