New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!

17 years 7 months ago #21352 by mikko
This thread discusses the Content article: New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!

The CB Team hopes that this new environment will give new momentum towards the development of new CB plugins.

There are several other things that could be done to make plugin development easier and more attractive.

- Make the plugin api documentation more accessible. PDF format is probably not the best one when you jsut want to check something quickly. HTML is much more used

- The concept of plugin is not really introduced well on this site.

-There is no tutorial on how to make a plugin, and now hello world plugin. Just a rather hard to read technical documentation

-Plugins could be included in the CB bug tracker, and CB test cycles.

-There forum is an ackward place to collect plugin ideas. A wiki would be much better.

mikko

Post edited by: mikko, at: 2006/09/22 10:45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #21389 by beat
mikko wrote:

This thread discusses the Content article: New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!

The CB Team hopes that this new environment will give new momentum towards the development of new CB plugins.

There are several other things that could be done to make plugin development easier and more attractive.

- Make the plugin api documentation more accessible. PDF format is probably not the best one when you jsut want to check something quickly. HTML is much more used

- The concept of plugin is not really introduced well on this site.

-There is no tutorial on how to make a plugin, and now hello world plugin. Just a rather hard to read technical documentation

-Plugins could be included in the CB bug tracker, and CB test cycles.

-There forum is an ackward place to collect plugin ideas. A wiki would be much better.

Agreeing on most of this.

- Plugin API doc is a doc file published as PDF right now. It was hidden at forge, now it's at least also in downloads area here.

- If you have ideas, suggestions or wish to contribute for better plugin introduction on this website, you're welcome :)

- I just quickly reviewed "Hello World" plugin written by Nick a week back... Tutorial is also a good idea, e.g. in a wiki to contribute to. ;)

- Plugin authors are encouraged to become 3PD, and are added to cb testteam as such, exactly to be able to test ahead of release time their plugins...

- i think that Forum is a good place to collect ideas and discuss them...don't understand what you mean by wiki being better for new ideas ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 7 months ago #21391 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!
beat wrote:

- Plugin authors are encouraged to become 3PD, and are added to cb testteam as such, exactly to be able to test ahead of release time their plugins...

This is a good thing. What I really meant, is that at the same time when a CB is released, some of the plugins could be tested by the test team at the same time. It would be much more convenient to get a lot of bug reports at one time, than try to collec them over time at the forum.

- i think that Forum is a good place to collect ideas and discuss them...don't understand what you mean by wiki being better for new ideas ?

With forum, relevance of a post is somewhat dependent on the age of the post. For example, hardly I doubt that many people read posts that are more than two weeks old. If plugin ideas, proof of concept codes, aplhas, betas and more usable releases were collected at lists, it would be much easier to see if something has been proposed and if it any work has been done for it. Wiki solves two issues here. First, it gives a comprehensive view on the issue, and second, it makes proposal time neutral.

mikko

17 years 7 months ago #21566 by doctorlife
Replied by doctorlife on topic Re:New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!
Hi to all,

I'm agree with you, in any case CB countinue to getting bigger and important Component each day, so need a "re organization" ... is too important understand well what is been done and where are we going ... as I yet posted here:
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,31/id,20881/

and PS There are a lot of "old" plugins that have to be moved into this new CB plugin category as Extension Specific Plugin
How to move them ?

Post edited by: doctorlife, at: 2006/09/26 22:08

Post edited by: doctorlife, at: 2006/09/26 22:11

13 years 9 months ago #138958 by 100creative
Replied by 100creative on topic Re:New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!
I agree with it old plug-ins should be checked, because probably some of them won't work with new CB. I got many of them which are useful. I will check some of them if i found any bugs i would let you know. We should collect as many bugs as we can so it is easier to update so we can use it for CB.

Thank you for your post

regards,

13 years 9 months ago #138989 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:New Joomla Extension Categories for CB!
It's not the responsibility of CB or us the developers to ensure all 3rd party plugins are compatible. If a bug is present in one of your 3rd party extensions, discuss that with the developer. We do not have the resources to support everyones plugins.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn