Search Fields and Search Results

15 years 4 months ago #84961 by msquared70
Search Fields and Search Results was created by msquared70
Is it possible to have the search fields and the search results on separate pages?

When the search results are displayed- the user often has to scroll down to even see them. Its a bit confusing to do a search and be presented with the search fields again. I'm guessing many users won't know to scroll down.

Thanks
Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #85305 by GoAndPlay
Replied by GoAndPlay on topic Re:Search Fields and Search Results
I would like to add to your request some more serach problems and results. Maybe together we will work it out :)

If anyone could help in solving the problems listed below, it would be really great :)

1. The simple search function works as 'exactly is', so having e.g. a list of several interests it won't work because people usually select things meaning 'any of the selected'. So there should be other option of simple searching: "any of /or".

2. I have a problem with displaying the results in Chrome and Firefox: aidemart.pl/link/u.php?4 - the results display next to the search form.
Can anybody give ma hint what should be modified in default CB template to prevent this?

3. And finally - which coresponds with the the first post in this thread - I think the serach form should be below the generated search results. It would be more ergonomic - no useless scrolling down.

And some bonus questions :)

4. I'd like to do something like this:
- I do a search
- I click on any item of the results list
- The user profile page is opened and...

...there is a link allowing me to get back to the search results.

5. Do you think adding an option that users could save their search criteria for future use giving it a title like for example "Ladies, age 23-29, Poland" is possible? Do you have any idea how to accomplish it?

I think core search options are more important now than ever because Advanced Search Component seems to get more and more incompatible with CB.

Let's work on it :)

Post edited by: GoAndPlay, at: 2009/01/14 11:12

Post edited by: GoAndPlay, at: 2009/01/14 11:20

Post edited by: GoAndPlay, at: 2009/01/14 11:21

15 years 3 months ago #85350 by msquared70
Replied by msquared70 on topic Re:Search Fields and Search Results
For #2 I believe chrome is using the Apple Webkit same as Safari so the fix should work there too..

Try this..
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,81499/catid,71/

#3... This seems like a good quick fix.. does anyone know where the code is for this? And if it is possible to switch the display order of the search fields and the results so that the search field appear below the results?

15 years 3 months ago #87645 by richbrundage
Replied by richbrundage on topic Re:Search Fields and Search Results
I am also interested in moving the search criteria fields down below the search results. I've worked with the default template default.php file a bit but only managed to either turn the search criteria all the way off or on, I've had no success in changing where they are displayed. I tried moving the block function _renderHead( ) { ... down below the function _renderBody( ) {...
block but that didn't change anything, so I don't understand what determines where the different divs of the template are displayed.

I've added text to the Search Criteria: heading by editing the default language plugin file to instruct people to scroll down, but this isn't optimal. Any hints on how to solve this are most welcome, they would probably give general help on how to edit templates.

Thanks!

Richard Brundage

15 years 3 months ago #88031 by zahmundzornig
Replied by zahmundzornig on topic Re:Search Fields and Search Results
That´s also an issue in my current cb-project. It would be great to have the search results above the search fields or - the better way - on a new page without search fields.
Scrolling down after searching is not useful. The user like to see the results directly on top of the page. Some users could think, that the searching process was not successful.

It would be great to get a solution for this handicap.

www.zahmundzornig.de thanx joomlapolis for the great work and support!
Build with CB: www.jaii.de

15 years 2 months ago #89931 by mroach23
Replied by mroach23 on topic Re:Search Fields and Search Results
This is being requested in www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,70/id,85852/ this thread also

- it would be great to have a solution to this as it is a major confusing with our implementation. Commercial components like reviewsforjoomla have implemented this.

Post edited by: mroach23, at: 2009/02/26 11:07

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn