Payment issues with Authorize.net

10 years 7 months ago #234146 by don5420
Payment issues with Authorize.net was created by don5420
First, we have a user that made a payment at registration and it was successfully charged at authorize.net. However, it was not updated in CBSubs. The basket shows up with the "Pay" button in the backend. But when we try to make the payment it says "The payment basket has no gateway associated so it can not be paid manually". How do we account for this payment?

Second, there have been a couple of other issues with payments. A user went through the registration process and it charged her card but did not put anything into CBSubs and did not display a confirmation page for her. She then did it again, same thing. Then tried a third time and it finally completed. The problem here is that Authorize.net took 3 payments from her, but CBSubs only showed the last one. I realize that trying to figure this out would probably be impossible at this point. But I did want to ask if there were any other reported issues like this? And if you can think of anything that might cause this behavior?

Notice that the first behavior was different since it created the payment basket. The second just charged the card and didn't create anything.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #234156 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Payment issues with Authorize.net

First, we have a user that made a payment at registration and it was successfully charged at authorize.net. However, it was not updated in CBSubs. The basket shows up with the "Pay" button in the backend. But when we try to make the payment it says "The payment basket has no gateway associated so it can not be paid manually". How do we account for this payment?

Ensure the Authorize.net gateway is properly enabled and its access is set to Public. Next ensure Subscription tab in Tab Management is public and published. Next ensure you have a Joomla menu link to CBs profile page. This will ensure access to CBSubs is working fine as it's possible the gateway sent an IPN, but couldn't access CBSubs. If still not working then ensure you've configured Silent Post correctly so Authorize.net is sending IPNs correctly. You can confirm this by checking CBSubs > Notifications and you should see the notifications from your gateway.

Second, there have been a couple of other issues with payments. A user went through the registration process and it charged her card but did not put anything into CBSubs and did not display a confirmation page for her. She then did it again, same thing. Then tried a third time and it finally completed. The problem here is that Authorize.net took 3 payments from her, but CBSubs only showed the last one.

Sounds like you've an access issue, a fatal internal error, or your server has terrible performance. All 3 of them can cause the code to stop working and not continue. If she got a blank page then it's very likely a fatal internal error, which should show up in CBSubs > History.

But I did want to ask if there were any other reported issues like this?

No, that's the point of these support forums. If you've a transaction issue you can also contact Authorize.net so they can do the refunds for duplicate purchases.

And if you can think of anything that might cause this behavior?

Probably access related, a fatal internal error, or very likely misconfigured Silent Post. You should be able to see any errors that happen during CBSubs within CBSubs > History.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #234158 by don5420
Replied by don5420 on topic Payment issues with Authorize.net
I guess I should have started with the fact this there have been hundreds of successful payments. So, there is not a misconfiguration.

For the first question I really need you to answer the part about "How do we account for this payment?". CBSubs won't let us put the payment in because of the error I described. And Authorize already has the money.

As for the rest, I figured your answer would be server related. I will take a look at the history and see if I can find a culprit.

EDIT: I just looked at the errors in the history and there are a disturbing number of errors about duplicate transactions (approx. 70 in 3 weeks). Any thoughts on what might be causing this? The only other error exists because of a plan issue that I corrected.

10 years 7 months ago #234200 by krileon

For the first question I really need you to answer the part about "How do we account for this payment?". CBSubs won't let us put the payment in because of the error I described. And Authorize already has the money.

You need to issue the refund from Authorize.net or through your bank. If CBSubs couldn't record the payment then it can't refund it.

EDIT: I just looked at the errors in the history and there are a disturbing number of errors about duplicate transactions (approx. 70 in 3 weeks). Any thoughts on what might be causing this? The only other error exists because of a plan issue that I corrected.

Are they all related to a specific plan, a specific user, or anything about them that relates them to one another? If possible please provide the error with sensitive data omitted.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 7 months ago #234216 by don5420
Replied by don5420 on topic Payment issues with Authorize.net
Maybe this is my fault for asking multiple questions or for not being clear enough about the situation/question. So I will stick to just the one question here.

The payment went through Authorize.net a couple of weeks ago. The customer did not realize this until recently when the customer complained. The client refunded 2 of the 3 charges through Authorize.net. Refunding the 3rd charge and forcing the customer to go through the payment process again is not the ideal situation here. First the customer is already upset. Second, this will just cost extra money due to transaction charges and seems ridiculous.

All that my client needs to do is account for this credit card payment in CBSubs. However, when they try they get the "payment basket" error I spoke of. So, my question is this: How do you account for a credit card payment without running it through the credit card payment gateway? Can I create a dummy gateway for these situations? Can I just edit the MySql database directly? If yes to either, how?

And, if CBSubs cannot take payments like this, it should be able to. What if the internet was down to authorize.net, but they could still run his credit card via the phone lines? This would be considered an offline payment. Problem is, your offline payments do not allow for credit cards. This is a rare but realistic situation.

Thanks for any help.

10 years 7 months ago #234217 by krileon
You can't attach a credit card to a basket like that. You can give them a subscription from CB > User Management by editing the user and giving them a subscription from the Subscription tab. Any alternative is to have an Offline payment gateway available. Next go through frontend purchase process using the users Subscription tab while logged in as a Super User. Once you've confirmed the offline purchase login to backend and pay the new basket from CBSubs > Baskets.

And, if CBSubs cannot take payments like this, it should be able to. What if the internet was down to authorize.net, but they could still run his credit card via the phone lines? This would be considered an offline payment. Problem is, your offline payments do not allow for credit cards. This is a rare but realistic situation.

If the connection fails reaching the payment gateway then the payment will never occur. if the payment occurs then your server fails you'll fail to receive the IPN to activate the subscription. In this case usually the IPN will retry a couple of minutes or hours later to active it or you can manually resend it from your gateway (PayPal allows manual retry, no idea if Authorize.net does). If you've uptime issues with your server you should consider a new more reliable host. There's really no way we can account for downtime like this unless you treat all purchase attempts as successful (if it goes into Pending, force Activated), but that's just too unreliable as it could activate a purchase attempt that failed. The above steps will let you create an Offline purchase on the users behalf to cover over the phone purchases.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn