[#3020] CB Conditional plugin questions

12 years 5 months ago #183434 by basidee
Replied by basidee on topic Re: CB Conditional plugin questions
I think this plugin would be much more useful if:

1. admin can assign more than one condition to a field
2. hiding a field would hide any fields that depend on it
3. admin can choose to show non-field elements (like captcha) within or outside a step on the registration form
4. admin can choose to save the steps progressively such that if a user aborts the process midway he can be registered (provided the required fields are completed) and reminded to continue the process at login
5. admin can label the steps (e.g. change "Step 1' to something else)

These are my feature requests, arranged in order of priority. It would be nice if you could submit them to the development team and revert on which features have been adopted and some indication of the road map.

Glad if you could keep me posted. I am interested in the listed features and I don't want to use any 3rd party solution that risks breaking my site.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #183487 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Conditional plugin questions

1. admin can assign more than one condition to a field

The interface for edit field isn't ideal for this, so not going to happen. Please understand in the more then 3 years I have been a part of the team and sense CBs birth no one has created a conditional plugin so CB can have conditional fields. This was significantly more difficult then one would perceive and do not wish to add further complexity to it in risk of breaking it.

2. hiding a field would hide any fields that depend on it

When using "Condition Self" next release will force the field to hide it self if the field it depends on is also hidden.

3. admin can choose to show non-field elements (like captcha) within or outside a step on the registration form

There's no way for CB Conditional to know what is what. It's purely jQuery driven and simply grabs what isn't a tab and throws it in its own tab. No plans to change this behavior.

4. admin can choose to save the steps progressively such that if a user aborts the process midway he can be registered (provided the required fields are completed) and reminded to continue the process at login

Not possible, Step by Step is just dynamically altering the display of registration; nothing more. The same registration workflows applies with or without step by step.

5. admin can label the steps (e.g. change "Step 1' to something else)

The steps are language strings and you can define them as something else in your language plugin. This is explained from backend when enabling step by step.

These are my feature requests, arranged in order of priority. It would be nice if you could submit them to the development team and revert on which features have been adopted and some indication of the road map.

There is no development team for CB Conditional. I am its sole developer and creator; please see comments to requests above.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #183576 by basidee
Well, thanks for the detailed response. I look forward to the next release. Is there any way I can be alerted when it is ready?

12 years 5 months ago #184112 by srizzi
Replied by srizzi on topic Re: CB Conditional plugin questions

krileon wrote: CB Conditional isn't design to dynamically alter a fields values, but is simply designed to alter its display (hidden/show and required/non-required). The solution in question is not developed by us and you'd need to contact the author for further support. I believe there is a country -> state conditional field plugin, but I can't recall where to locate it as it is made by 3rd party.

I've found the plugin that you was remembering:
www.angekdesign.com.au/community-builder-extensions

The problem is that it isn't a "country" "regions" "Cities" plugin as I would like, and on their forum they wrote 2 years ago that the third field was under development. In another post they announced that the work on the evolution has been stopped because too difficult !!

This is embarassing..

So I tried to follow the suggestions on this forum, creating a conditional field for each region, in order to conditionally show the cities dropdown.
In particular I created 20 cities dropdowns, one for each reagion.
The bad surprise has been that in this way there are 20 additional field also in the user DB.
What if later I have to read the city of the user back from the DB ?
Should I check wich one of the dozens of city related field isn't empty ?

This sounds totally wrong for me, and this is a big limitation of this plugin that is focused on managing users, and user related info.

I hope you'll find a solution soon.

12 years 5 months ago #184156 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Conditional plugin questions
I had no plans to implement show/hide of select fields values. The problem is even with this feature you still couldn't do what you're wanting because multiple conditions aren't supported.

It's possible I'll create a conditional country > state > city ajax drop-down integration as an incubator project, but certainly wont be anytime soon.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 months ago #185552 by basidee
Hi.

I am trying to find the language file to change the Step labels in CB Conditional. I searched for the string reg_step in components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/default_language/default_language.php but found no reference to it. Where di I find it

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn