[SOLVED] Members blocked from renewing after expiration

12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #196803 by edjec
J 1.5.25, CB 1.7.1, CBS 1.2

If I remember correctly, in a previous version of CB Subs, expired members could still log on with their credentials but would only have access to their renewal screen. Now their account is blocked and they cannot log on to renew. They cannot reset their password through the reset function, so they must now contact an administrator to reset their password before limited access is restored for renewal.

Naturally, with several hundred accounts expiring each month, this creates quite a bit of work for the admins, not to mention frustration caused to members. The admin need only create a temporary password to restore limited access for renewal - the account, of course, remains blocked until they renew. I'm not sure if their password is being invalidated on expiration or even why their password would have to be changed.

I cannot find either a configuration setting or a reference in the manual anywhere that addresses this issue. Am I missing something or is this the way it now works?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #196811 by nant

edjec wrote: J 1.5.25, CB 1.7.1, CBS 1.2

If I remember correctly, in a previous version of CB Subs, expired members could still log on with their credentials but would only have access to their renewal screen. Now their account is blocked and they cannot log on to renew. They cannot reset their password through the reset function, so they must now contact an administrator to reset their password before limited access is restored for renewal.

Naturally, with several hundred accounts expiring each month, this creates quite a bit of work for the admins, not to mention frustration caused to members. The admin need only create a temporary password to restore limited access for renewal - the account, of course, remains blocked until they renew. I'm not sure if their password is being invalidated on expiration or even why their password would have to be changed.

I cannot find either a configuration setting or a reference in the manual anywhere that addresses this issue. Am I missing something or is this the way it now works?

Thanks

Only reason would be that you have specified that a subscription is needed for login.
Look at your Settings -> Global -> Registration frame.

12 years 3 weeks ago #196813 by edjec

Only reason would be that you have specified that a subscription is needed for login.

Sorry, maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see anything on the Global page (or any other for that matter)that pertains to login. The only items in the Registration frame are:
  • Show subscription plans at registration:
  • Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions):
  • Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans:

Your thoughts?

12 years 3 weeks ago #196814 by nant

edjec wrote:

Sorry, maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see anything on the Global page (or any other for that matter)that pertains to login. The only items in the Registration frame are:
  • Show subscription plans at registration:
  • Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions):
  • Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans:

Your thoughts?

And what are the settings for these 3 parameters?

12 years 3 weeks ago #196815 by edjec
Show subscription plans at registration: Yes
Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions): No
Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans: Yes

12 years 3 weeks ago #196819 by edjec
Nant,

If I change Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans: to (NO), expired members can log in and will receive the renewal screen. I recall that this is the setting I originally used. However I received the Warning message below and changed the setting to Yes.

WARNING: This setting does not make sense: free registered users without subscriptions not allowed, but subscriptions are not created for all plans, including free lifetime ones. In that mode that controls all site users through paid subscriptions, subscriptions are needed for all plans.

The Information panel that accompanies this message doesn't make sense to me as there are no free plans, and there are no subscriptions without plans. So why should they not both be set to NO and is there any detriment to doing so?

Expired users still cannot reset their password from the reset function, but this is probably security related and is longer an issue in this case.

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn