Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Mailer weirdness

11 years 8 months ago #211295 by mothersofboys
Mailer weirdness was created by mothersofboys
I have a J 1.5.26 site with CB 1.8 + SUBS with Mailer installed. I can't tell what version of Mailer it is but it was installed I think in April or May of this year.

Mailer is just quirky. I have three 'subscription reminders' mailers set up. One mailer is set up to send 5 minutes after last online but not longer than one year. The 2nd mailer is set up for 5 minutes after registration date but not longer than one year.

When I execute those 2 mailers, I get the same group of 12 people which does NOT include ALL the people I want to catch. I've even checked all the user's stats and there are user records that are identical to the one of the 12 that does get picked up, but yet they don't get picked up.

I have a 3rd mailer set up for 5 minutes after Last Online but not longer than a year.

Here's where it gets weird...

The configuration settings for Mailer #3 are identical to mailer #1 and, when executed, it will pull 48 people to send to, not just 12.

AND it also re-executes the parameters of #1 (last online again) and #2 (registration date).

I believe Nant or Krileon built this mailer bc when I installed it I was having all sorts of issues with date time stamps and weirdness.

But why does #3 work and #2 and #1 don't even though, from what I can tell, their parameters are identical?!? And why would it be executing the parameters of #2 and #1 ?? ((So I get duplicate records that I have to go in and delete))

I can provide access if needed.

Thanks
LrG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #211514 by mothersofboys
Replied by mothersofboys on topic Re: Mailer weirdness
bumping

• nant
  • nant
11 years 8 months ago #211524 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Mailer weirdness
Sorry for delay ...

mothersofboys wrote: I have a J 1.5.26 site with CB 1.8 + SUBS with Mailer installed. I can't tell what version of Mailer it is but it was installed I think in April or May of this year.

You should upgrade to at least CB 1.8.1 (or CB 1.9 RC if you want).
CBSubs version can be seen in the CBSubs settings icon area.
If your mailer is not the same version as your CBSubs, then you will see a warning message in your Settings integration tab.

Latest CBSubs version is 2.0.2 - if you are not on this you need to upgrade.

Mailer is just quirky. I have three 'subscription reminders' mailers set up. One mailer is set up to send 5 minutes after last online but not longer than one year. The 2nd mailer is set up for 5 minutes after registration date but not longer than one year.

When I execute those 2 mailers, I get the same group of 12 people which does NOT include ALL the people I want to catch. I've even checked all the user's stats and there are user records that are identical to the one of the 12 that does get picked up, but yet they don't get picked up.

You need to understand the following:

Mailers have the following 2 parameters:

Maximum messages in total (0=unlimited):
Maximum messages per customer (0=unlimited):

Both by default are set to 0 - means unlimited.

So for example if you have a mailer set to send and email to users that have registered 5 mins ago (and not send if registered 1 year ago - well i would make the 1 year ago part much less, but that's another topic), then if a user has registered 4 mins ago and you execute the mailer action to fill the queue (either directly or via cron job), then this user will NOT get an email added to the queue for his registration. If you run the action again during the next minute, then the user will get added to the queue (since his registration is now 5 mins old and the trigger is satisfied).

For such a specific mailer that is based on the registration date (which does not change), I assume that you only want 1 such email to be sent to each user after they register. So I would specify 1 instead of 0 in the second parameter I mentioned above.

I have a 3rd mailer set up for 5 minutes after Last Online but not longer than a year.

Here's where it gets weird...

The configuration settings for Mailer #3 are identical to mailer #1 and, when executed, it will pull 48 people to send to, not just 12.

AND it also re-executes the parameters of #1 (last online again) and #2 (registration date).

I believe Nant or Krileon built this mailer bc when I installed it I was having all sorts of issues with date time stamps and weirdness.

But why does #3 work and #2 and #1 don't even though, from what I can tell, their parameters are identical?!? And why would it be executing the parameters of #2 and #1 ?? ((So I get duplicate records that I have to go in and delete))

I can provide access if needed.

Thanks
LrG

Not sure what to tel you here.

If you have exact same 2 mailer triggers (and maybe just change mailer names, subjects so you can evaluate results better) and run the fill queue url for the first time for both mailers (to rule out any differences because of the 2 parameters I mentioned earlier), then you should get the exact same user set for both mailers.

Try this test and see if its not the case.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon