How to guidance on user synch?

8 years 8 months ago #270008 by researchware
How to guidance on user synch? was created by researchware
We rely on community builder, but we also rely on an extension called RS Tickets Pro from rsjoomla.com. This tool add users to Joomla's user table when a user submits a support ticket via email. CB is not adding these users to the CB user table dynamically. We have to periodically go into DB >Tools and execute the Synchronize Users tool manually.

Is there a widget that will regularly (daily, hourly, as a user is added?) synch the CB user database to the Joomla user database? Auto Actions perhaps? Something else? Just looking for a pointer in the right direction.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #270012 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic How to guidance on user synch?
Running synchronization regularly is not a solution. The tool is there for already established installs and shouldn't be ran regularly. RS Tickets Pro needs to be using CB API to register users to avoid this. We do have plans to extend our system plugin to catch these scenarios and register them in CB automatically, but that won't be for later. CB Auto Actions can't help here as it acts on CB triggers, which RS Tickets Pro is not firing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 8 months ago #270152 by researchware
Replied by researchware on topic How to guidance on user synch?

krileon wrote: RS Tickets Pro needs to be using CB API to register users to avoid this.

RSJoomla support replied that: "RSTickets! Pro creates users by using the Joomla! framework, namely by using the JUser class to bind data to it and save it. This means that it triggers the "onUser" events so that other extensions can do their own processing: docs.joomla.org/Plugin/Events#User" and that Community Builder [ideally] should trigger updating its user table(s) off the "onUser" event.

krileon wrote: We do have plans to extend our system plugin to catch these scenarios and register them in CB automatically, but that won't be for later.

For us, hopefully Joomlapolis's 'later' will come sooner as we seem to be caught between different approaches by two different vendors at the moment and lack the technical expertise to make any sort of synchronization plugin ourselves. The idea of connecting to the Joomla framework events seems to make sense, but again, we don't really have expertise in the internals of Joomla.

Also, thank you for the quick response to my initial post.

8 years 8 months ago #270159 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic How to guidance on user synch?

RSJoomla support replied that: "RSTickets! Pro creates users by using the Joomla! framework, namely by using the JUser class to bind data to it and save it. This means that it triggers the "onUser" events so that other extensions can do their own processing: docs.joomla.org/Plugin/Events#User" and that Community Builder [ideally] should trigger updating its user table(s) off the "onUser" event.

Right, that's what we plan to do in our system plugin. We have to be extremely careful about this though as CB it self also fires that trigger and it does so before the CB user is created. So we have to be careful that we don't get stuck in an infinite loop of storing the user. It's not an implementation we can rush and has to be extensively tested as it affects every user store.

For us, hopefully Joomlapolis's 'later' will come sooner as we seem to be caught between different approaches by two different vendors at the moment and lack the technical expertise to make any sort of synchronization plugin ourselves. The idea of connecting to the Joomla framework events seems to make sense, but again, we don't really have expertise in the internals of Joomla.

I don't know when it'll be implemented, sorry. I'm currently rewriting GJ. Once the rewrite is done I'll be focusing on a new CB release to address bug and feature tickets.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 8 months ago #270161 by researchware

I don't know when it'll be implemented, sorry. I'm currently rewriting GJ. Once the rewrite is done I'll be focusing on a new CB release to address bug and feature tickets.

I fully understand. Thanks again for you speedy replies and thoughtful responses. We'll just keep synchronizing manually when we have to and look forward to whenever a (non-infinite loop :-) ) based synch version of CB is available.

8 years 2 weeks ago #280960 by researchware
I certainly understand that people's time is finite and you folks can not possible create every fix or enhancement that everyone is asking for. This issue (that RSTickets and several other 3rd party tools) add new users to the Joomla User table and have no CB hooks, continues to plague us. We are having to run the user synch tool about one a week to make sure everything is synched up.

I was just checking in in case there had been any news about the development of a system plugin to regularly maintain synchronization between the Joomla user table and CB 2.x?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn