[#5634] Email notifications to users after installing GJ 3.0

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #274517 by gjschaller
After installing GroupJive 3.0 on my Joomla 3.4 / Kunena 4.0 forums, both users and myself are suddenly receiving notifications for GJ Forums that they are members of.

I'm looking in the GJ Notifications area, and I see a bunch listed, but I also am seeing notifications for groups that are not listed in the Notifications tab in GJ.

Any idea what triggered this, and how to clean it up / turn it off?

The Notifications section of GroupJive config is set to use only PMs, and only for GJ notifications, not Kunena, so I don't think this is it.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
www.knightrealms.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #274534 by nant

gjschaller wrote: After installing GroupJive 3.0 on my Joomla 3.4 / Kunena 4.0 forums, both users and myself are suddenly receiving notifications for GJ Forums that they are members of.

I'm looking in the GJ Notifications area, and I see a bunch listed, but I also am seeing notifications for groups that are not listed in the Notifications tab in GJ.

Any idea what triggered this, and how to clean it up / turn it off?

The Notifications section of GroupJive config is set to use only PMs, and only for GJ notifications, not Kunena, so I don't think this is it.

Hmm, notifications from forums does not come from GroupJive but from Kunena itself.

I assume you migrated/upgraded from GJ 2.x to 3.0?

So you are saying that after this upgrade users are getting forum notifications for forum posts made in a GJ specific forum discussion area for groups these users are not members of?

8 years 3 months ago #274551 by gjschaller
They are members, but they were not subscribed to the topics they are getting subscriptions for, prior.

I am 90% certain of GJ being the trigger. I did also upgrade JV-ShrinkTheWeb recently, but that's a Web Links plugin, so it's less related.

Worst comes to worst, I can clear all Subscriptions, and let people rebuild them.

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
www.knightrealms.com

8 years 3 months ago #274555 by nant

gjschaller wrote: They are members, but they were not subscribed to the topics they are getting subscriptions for, prior.

I am 90% certain of GJ being the trigger. I did also upgrade JV-ShrinkTheWeb recently, but that's a Web Links plugin, so it's less related.

Worst comes to worst, I can clear all Subscriptions, and let people rebuild them.

Trying to understand.

So a user is getting a forum notification for a GJ discussion but the user cannot see this forum thread because he is not in the GJ group?

Please explain - I am lost.

8 years 3 months ago #274557 by gjschaller
No one is seeing things they should not be. That part is safe.

Users are getting emails about topics that they did not subscribe to, prior to the upgrade to GJ 3.0. It looks as if people were automatically subscribed to Categories somehow.

As an example, I got a notification about a new topic that did not exist before this morning, in a Category I was not (previously) subscribed to in Kunena. I have always been a member of that Group, though.

"You are getting this notification because of you have subscribed into category. Please visit the category to unsubscribe.
Please note that you will not receive any further email notifications for this topic unless you subscribe into it.
Do not answer to this e-mail notification as it is a generated e-mail."

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
www.knightrealms.com

8 years 3 months ago #274566 by gjschaller
I'm seeing it for Topics, too:

"You can unsubscribe from this topic by visiting it and clicking the Unsubscribe button near the top or bottom of the page.
Please note that you will not receive any further email notifications for this topic until you log in and read it.
Do not answer to this e-mail notification as it is a generated e-mail."

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
www.knightrealms.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn