Make Profile Pic Clickable and Easy to Update

7 years 9 months ago #284613 by davisJ
Hi,

Great work with the website and gallery updates.

I thought I'd try again and see if I can get any momentum happening or updates for the avatar/profile pic situation. In a previous post, one of the moderators tried to help me and I applied the changes but they didn't work: the pic was not clickable and the changes meant that the profile pic overlapped other menus on mobiles. See link.

As I commented in the previous post:
"Having a profile pic and cover photo is super important to drive engagement and make the community look good. When most FB-friendly users log in to their CB profile for the first time, they assume that the profile pic and canvas photo will be clickable to edit/change."

I've watched people log in and try do this, and unfortunately, with people assuming that things should be clickable, when they try and fail to change the pics by doing so, a large chunk give up and assume the interface doesn't work. In a sense, they're right. This is the first thing people will do to personalise their profile and if it doesn't work, this is a major fail on the part of the website and module developer.

These days, most people use phones and assume that images should be clickable. It's a serious UX fail to not have a profile pic and cover photo be editable in this way. So this needs to be made a priority and fixed if you want CB to be relevant on phones. The alternative for me is to move to one of your competitors but I'm keen to avoid this as I've spent a lot of time and energy and money working to get CB working for my site (no doubt a bunch of your other customers have already done so).

So, as you've worked out, I'm very persistent and remain hopeful that progress will be made. Any idea when this will be ready?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #284616 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic Make Profile Pic Clickable and Easy to Update
That was the main guy who answered you and he knows his stuff. Have you published the little Online indicator field? You need to unpublish that Online indicator field for it to be completely clickable (works perfectly on my site).
The following user(s) said Thank You: davisJ

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #284622 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Make Profile Pic Clickable and Easy to Update
Install latest CB, install latest CB Core Fields Ajax. Next edit the Canvas field and under Integrations > CB Core Fields Ajax set "Profile View" to "Enabled" and "Profile View Output" to "Tooltip". Canvas field can now ajax edit fine. Do the same for Avatar and it too will work fine. No additional changes needed. Yes, the CSS still need some improvements, but progress has been made already. Below are the feature tickets where I noted this still needs some better UX improvements.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6061
forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6062

Development has only been slow due to 4 months working on our new site. My blog was to to show things are back on track. Can't exactly fault us for wanting to use our own product (CB 2.x) and getting away from Joomla 1.5. We're using several of our plugins on JP now actually.

The alternative for me is to move to one of your competitors but I'm keen to avoid this as I've spent a lot of time and energy and money working to get CB working for my site (no doubt a bunch of your other customers have already done so).

I can't stop you from "jumping ship" as that's your choice. Neither has remotely close to a robust gallery that CB Gallery is about to provide. CB Activity provides customized activity streams and an API to output them (you can have an activity stream for whatever you want). None of them offers anything even remotely close to CB Auto Actions. Any field can be ajax edited using CB Core Fields Ajax. CB is entirely modular. Use what you need only. This avoids bloat for simple sites and complexity for sites that need it. Your statement regarding a bunch of other customers is beyond false; we've had significant growth actually.

My current development pipeline is planned as follows.

CB Gallery > CB 2.1 (backend UI for language overrides and more!) > CB Activity > CB Privacy

Both CB Activity and CB Privacy will receive large API improvements as well as significant improvements to their usages. Streams will become more robust and finally have the proper API to be extended by say CB Gallery for uploading from a stream.

After the above I'll be cycling through other plugins like CB Core Fields Ajax and clear their tickets. Once that's done I'm going to start some new projects.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 8 months ago #284873 by davisJ
Thanks @timstohr and @krileon.

1. Just tried to do this and found that it seemed to work somewhat when I deleted the online indicator using Chrome's web Inspect. What's the correct and easiest way to disable this? I couldn't find any plugin.

2. To confirm - do I need to also make the css changes in the other thread (linked to above)?
As mentioned, I tried this before and found that when the user tried to edit their profile on mobile, the drop down menu was blocked by the Avatar pic..

7 years 8 months ago #284891 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Make Profile Pic Clickable and Easy to Update

1. Just tried to do this and found that it seemed to work somewhat when I deleted the online indicator using Chrome's web Inspect. What's the correct and easiest way to disable this? I couldn't find any plugin.

You don't need to remove the online status field. Please read my reply above. Update CB to latest build then update CB Core Fields Ajax to latest build and configure the fields ajax usage as instructed above.

2. To confirm - do I need to also make the css changes in the other thread (linked to above)?
As mentioned, I tried this before and found that when the user tried to edit their profile on mobile, the drop down menu was blocked by the Avatar pic..

No, you only need to update and configure it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 8 months ago #285196 by davisJ
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your help with this. I just tested this out on a new user and found a problem.

Previously, I'd tested this on existing users and clicking from the profile view seemed to work fine.

I've been retesting for a soft-launch and found a problem - the profile image (ajax) click only works after a user has first changed their profile image via the Edit screen first. That is, when a fresh user has registered, they cannot click the profile or canvas image (via profile view) to set the pic.

Is this unique to my set-up or does this apply to other installs?

Cheers

David

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn