CB Privacy

3 years 8 months ago #319408 by LNorth
CB Privacy was created by LNorth
I have recently added CB Privacy to my account and cannot get it to work.

I have Published and enabled everything I can find and the fields now appear on Field management form assigned to the Contact Info tab.

• The Contact Info Tab has its access set to Registered.
  • The new fields privacy_profile, privacy_disable_me, privacy_export and privacy_delete_me all have the frontend profile editing selected as "Yes, I Line with Title".
  • Of those fields only the Privacy_profile displays and responds. The privacy_export field displays and apparently responds, displaying the message "Your account export request requires email confirmation. Please check your email for a link to export your data. This request is only valid for 24 hours" but the email never arrives at the logged in account holders verified mail inbox (or spam).
  • There are no Privacy Information Requests logged on my Dashboard or Requests Tab from the Control Panel.
  • The privacy_disable_me and privacy_delete_me fields do not display at all.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong with my setup?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #319419 by beat
Replied by beat on topic CB Privacy
I just re-tested, and clicking link displays the message "Your account export request requires email confirmation. Please check your email for a link to export your data. This request is only valid for 24 hours." , and it sends the email too, and clicking the link downloads directly the XML file with profile details.

If mail doesn't send, check your Joomla Email settings in the Joomla Global Configuration, Server settings tab, Mail settings. We recommend using SMTP with email provider parameters, and not "PHP Mail" for best results. Once saved there is a "Send Test mail" button below the settings that allows to make sure that your mail settings are correct.

Btw, did you see our CB Privacy video tutorials www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0puRITgC7PyiMVKzL-3WKX9Z1iNIyah ?
(i't in Support / Videos menu).

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: LNorth

3 years 8 months ago #319427 by LNorth
Replied by LNorth on topic CB Privacy
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am currently using PHP Mail and have checked the setup and sent test mails. This all works and the mail also works for Administrator approved registration. I will try SMTP Mail, are there any recommended settings or do I use the ones suggested when SMTP is selected. I have checked the email account used in cPanel and there are no entries in Sent Mail related the the Data request although the Sign Up Approvals, Image Approvals etc appear in the Inbox .

Do you have any ideas why the Disable and Delete fields do not show? I was thinking of creating a new Tab called Privacy or similar and putting the fields on it.

Best wishes
Lawrence

3 years 8 months ago #319429 by LNorth
Hi, further to my previous email.

• I have changed my email provider parameters to SMTP Mail and sent a successful test mail.

• I have logged on to the web site as admin with the email based on the ISP and performed a Data export request. The request worked as expected with the confirmation email arriving in the ISP based inbox and the link for showing the data functioning properly.

• I have created a new account with a different username, password and email. All sign up emails worked for registration plus the Ts &Cs acceptance. The Data Export request confirmation email does not arrive in the new account email inbox although the message at requesting says it has been sent.

• I have tried a Data Export request on other devices that are not logged onto my Joomla backend at the same time as being logged onto the site front end, in case of any conflict and the confirmation email does not arrive.

The system seems to work internally, i.e. by logging on as the main admin/superuser and performing a Data Export Request. Once I try on an external ISP, i.e. GMail.com and iCloud.com, it does not.

3 years 8 months ago #319434 by beat
Replied by beat on topic CB Privacy
So, if I understand correctly:

- changing mail method to SMTP makes the mail get delivered for admin user requesting his own data export ?
- And not with PHP Mail for admin ?
- but doesn't work for non-admin user using PHP Mail or SMTP does not work with the same data export link that was working with the admin ?

If that's correct, then the issue is probably at the SMTP-server acceptance and corresponding mail.log of the mail server would probably give the reason.

I see a few possibilities:
- Would the admin's email domain play a role in your server accepting emails ? That could also explain why the test mails work if it's also a mail with an accepted domain name.
- Are you using the submit port 587 and username/password authentication with SMTP ?
- Do you have access on your mail.log files from your email server that you are using ? Is it the mail server of your provider or gmail or icloud ? So it works with your hoster's mail server but not with gmail and icloud ? didn't undestand your last sentence.

Regarding the other links (Disable and Delete), same as export data, they should appear by default only in the User edit page, not in the profile page. My guess is that tab assignment or display types are not correct, maybe something to compare with the Privacy setup video or with our demo site configuration ?

I just re-tested CB Privacy (which has latest version) on our demo site (registering, then asking for export data and finally disabling the account), and everything worked as designed ("Demo" menu above). There, from home page you can register with a valid email (demo site is reset every 2 hours) to see a normal user, and if you click on "Administrator" button you get the login details to compare the settings for disable and delete account with your settings.

Looking forward on the replies, so that we can find where the problem is.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

3 years 8 months ago #319443 by LNorth
Hi, sorry for the confusion. I am only able to look at this in the evenings mostly hence delayed replies.

• The mail behaviour is the same with both SMTP & PHP. It delivers to the host account but not to external Gmail or iCloud accounts.
  • I have two email accounts, iCloud and Gmail and get the same result on both.
  • I have a separate contact form on my site where the user enters their own email address and that works without problems.
  • I have reviewed the two YouTube tutorials and they appear to be out of date and don’t deal with my problem.
  • I have tried various settings in the privacy and connections tabs and still cannot get the privacy_disable_me and privacy_delete_me fields to display at all.

I will try to work through your suggestions this evening.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds