Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Maintenance release requested

• nant
  • nant
18 years 4 months ago #3944 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
Beat and JoomlaJoe have been fixing bugs.
Once they are through we will probably issue 1.0 stable.
Please don't ask when - you can follow their progress from the tracking system on developer.joomla.org.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DrummCoBu
  • DrummCoBu
18 years 4 months ago #3973 by DrummCoBu
Replied by DrummCoBu on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
nant wrote:

Beat and JoomlaJoe have been fixing bugs. ...

Nick,
You and your team are doing a tremendous good job with all this fixing and feature enhancements.
But with the arrival of Joomla 1.0.7 I find its time to have a CB RC3 out in the field to get a wider audience for testing on the way to a CB 1.0 stable. The story with the late fixes and re-issuing of drivers with Joomla and other components should alarm you that nobody is perfect.
We as your usergroup want to help you on the way to a quality stable CB 1.0. You have all our respect.

Jürgen

• AnyTime
  • AnyTime
18 years 4 months ago #4011 by AnyTime
Replied by AnyTime on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
Would like to put 1 cent in here.

It seems that the community being @ 3000+ is really ready for beat/nant and joe to have more of a lead role and not so much of the actual fix roles they have done.

We would like to see the team open up bug fixing and feature fixes to be handled more openly so that others can post and help more effiecently. Of course having those changes to code to be controlled by them but allow more people in...

If beat/nant and Joe focused more time on planning, managing and moderating we believe the project code could keep up with the joomla teams and others.

Understand this, we truly enjoy using the product and understand what time is about. We have a company ourselves and have made promises to the team about wanting to help, yet with our schedules getting tossed around by our own customer base we believe this recommendation makes perfect sense.

When the team allows open access to help them with the code if a person says "I am fixing that" yet dont do anything in a timely manner, then the team is allowed to move that onto someone that is available immediately.

When this many people want to help yet are inhibited by the fear of control and the loss of it, then that is where problems arise.

We are not emplying that is the case and do respect the team to the fullest, just wanting to offer an idea on handling such a widely used and promising component for the joomla community.

Again, thanks to Beat, Nant, and Joe. Great work, Great ideas, and Great support.

• nant
  • nant
18 years 4 months ago #4043 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
Thanks @AnyTime and @DrummCoBu for your comments and nice words. The CB Team (this time) was consulted and did test CB with Joomla 1.0.6/7 - so the version we tested appears to work just fine with CB 1.0 RC2.

In the meantime we have been working on many parallel activities including:
  • Forum support (A good part is handled by seasoned CB users - we thank them)
  • Bug fixes (you have follow the progress in our tracker system)
  • New Plugins (JoomlaJoe and myself - you can read our blogs)
  • Plugin reviews (mostly Beat) of submitted 3PD code
  • Reacting to issues like this one - this one has brought us back emotionally and timewise

Back to work.

• mikko
  • mikko
18 years 4 months ago #4046 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
What do you think about public CVS access? People could download nightly or minor builts and submit their own bug fixes and enhancements.

mikko

• AnyTime
  • AnyTime
18 years 4 months ago #4304 by AnyTime
Replied by AnyTime on topic Re:Maintenance release requested
Our coder has asked for the same such access. He would love to start in on bug fixing then he could turn in those that are fixed and/or help with the overall completion of them. This is the way he learns code the quickest he says.

Since I am just starting to learn PHP fully or trying to learn as much as I can, (Originally been program/project mgr) I too find this approach the best way to get moving.

Maybe we are misunderstanding the opportunities available, but I do think Beat/Nant/Joe want us to help, they are probably very concerned with the A*($#holes that come along with opening something up.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon