Error goes away with error mode on!

14 years 1 month ago #126478 by jay44
Hi people

I am having great trouble in problem solving my CB registration error.

After filling in the form, and hitting register, the user gets a white screen and no emails are sent.

After checking, the new record has been written and is there for a moderator to find, but no emails are sent, either to the moderator or the user.

Of course I set the error checking to on, and run some tests, then everything works perfectly, record is written emails are sent.

Turn error checking off, - white screen of nothing, no emails.

I have tried all the different system email settings, and it makes no difference.

My hosting service says to use the SMPT server setting, so that is what is is meant to be set to.

Please can anyone suggest what could cause this? Why would the code execute correctly with errors on, and not with error off?

Version details below

Jay

PHP Built on: Linux
Database Version: 5.0.51a-24+lenny2-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.6-1+lenny3
Web Server: Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny3 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.15 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Mamni ] 05-November-2009 04:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

CB Version - 1.2.2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #126493 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Error goes away with error mode on!
Best would be to check out our FAQ articles - there is one about blank pages and how to debug (see my signature or menu item above).

Your website error log should be logging the real issue.

14 years 1 month ago #126496 by jay44
Replied by jay44 on topic Re:Error goes away with error mode on!
Thanks Nick

I had read that faq and added the code to my index.php, but it does not give me any information.

I have no access to the server error logs - so now I will contact the ISP

Thanks aain

J

14 years 1 month ago #126506 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Error goes away with error mode on!
jay44 wrote:

Thanks Nick

I had read that faq and added the code to my index.php, but it does not give me any information.

I have no access to the server error logs - so now I will contact the ISP

Thanks aain

J

Post back server log findings - they should provide more insight to real issue.

14 years 1 month ago #126586 by jay44
Replied by jay44 on topic Re:Error goes away with error mode on!
Here is the error:

[Fri Mar 12 09:46:08 2010] [notice] child pid 2258 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

?

I hope it means something to you Nick!

J

14 years 1 month ago #126591 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Error goes away with error mode on!
jay44 wrote:

Here is the error:

[Fri Mar 12 09:46:08 2010] [notice] child pid 2258 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

?

I hope it means something to you Nick!

J

Segmentation fault is a Linux-level error, not a PHP or MySql error.

So it is NOT php-script (joomla/CB) related, but an issue in your hoster's system or PHP installation. So it's a hosting issue.

IMHO: Your hoster should upgrade his system, and if error persists, analyze the coredump stack that you get in Linux when there is a segmentation fault.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn