events calendar plugin

18 years 5 months ago #1435 by forgotten_soul
events calendar plugin was created by forgotten_soul
Hello.

We have a little community site running and are using the events calendar component.

It now would be great to combine these 2 components in this way :

a) for every event you can (when logged in) register to be there.
So logged in users can see who will attend an event.

b) As a User you can set whether other users may see in your profile which events you will attend.

Is there already a plugin to do this ?

How hard would it be to program this ?
I would have to discuss that, but perhaps we would be able to pay for this plugin, if it will be released under Open Source afterwards.

Thanx in advance,
Karlheinz Meier,
www.gothic-party.net

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 5 months ago #1510 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:events calendar plugin
Hi Karlheinz,

I'm investigating it (because I'm currently overdependent on the Events Calendar) and would like to contribute something by developing a plugin.

There are a few issues I'm looking at beforehand, kind of like looking several ways before crossing the street:

Some hacks have been developed for Events 1.2 to give users a little more control over event submission, and incorporating them into a stable release would go a long way in developing a proper plugin for CB. I installed them and they work fine, just working out a couple exceptions that deal with Itemid before I make it live on my site. Here's the thread:

forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,6217.0.html

For more of what you're looking for--registering for events and roll calls--Attend Events is currently being worked on. It's a component that works atop Events Calendar or ExtCalendar and allows users to register for events, though the developers' roadmap looks to make it into much more than that. Check out:

forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,3357.0.html

Scubaguy in this thread stops by here and uses CB/CBE, but the project is still being developed.

Then there's GigCalendar coming up to a release soon. It looks like that component will store venue, band/performer (user?) and event information in separate tables, which would more scalable and easier to integrate.

So, lots of factors come into play, but I may give the development of a basic Events plugin a shot soon.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

18 years 5 months ago #1556 by DrummCoBu
Replied by DrummCoBu on topic Re:events calendar plugin
I'm also intrested to implement an Event Calender. Has someone experience with ExtCalander and CB2 ?

Juergen

herzlichlachen.de

18 years 5 months ago #1565 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:events calendar plugin
I love ExtCalander, I think it is the best calendar system available. It looks the best, has the best features etc. I do wish that there was continued development though. I have not seen any real changes in this for some time. I would like to see the abiity to add more fields to the imput screens as well as some more templates, only 2 templates available.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 5 months ago #1584 by edenapple
Replied by edenapple on topic Re:events calendar plugin
GigCalendar is *hopefully* coming soon. If they deliver on their promises its going to be one heck of an event calendar (completely customisable).

I have been waiting many months for it and communication hasnt been great with the project at all. However lately they have stepped up on communication a fair bit...Apparently its coming out this month.

I am hoping someone will be able to develop a plugin for CB for it.

18 years 5 months ago #1603 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:events calendar plugin
Yep, I see GigCalendar progressing at a good clip now on the forge and it's made me a bit torn about the prospect of parting ways with Events.

<melodrama> All the sweat, toil, tears and nervous breakdowns I invested in getting Events set up just how I needed it, only for it to be trumped by some new-fangled Joomla contraption with all the fields and relational tables I was haplessly trying to hack together all this time...</melodrama> :)

Migrating to GigCalendar for my primary site wouldn't be trivial, weeding out a few hundred events and 'venues' from Bookmarks to patch into new tables. And it looks like Events is getting legs to start up a new version, so I might stay put. But if you're starting a calendar from scratch, it looks like GigCalendar will be the obvious choice.

There are also folks on this and the Joomla board looking to jumpstart ExtCalendar as a fork from the first integration attempt made for Mambo. The lack of templates and 'non-nativetomamboness' initally turned me off, and both reasons are pretty invalid, I know.

But back to the Attend Events component, it looks like it holds the most promise. Instead of having a plugin simply spit out a user's events, the ability to manage invites or for peers to join roll calls or register for events posted by a user would be the kind of stuff CB was designed for.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn