events calendar plugin

18 years 5 months ago #1604 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:events calendar plugin
Yep, I see GigCalendar progressing at a good clip now on the forge and it's made me a bit torn about the prospect of parting ways with Events.

<melodrama> All the sweat, toil, tears and nervous breakdowns I invested in getting Events set up just how I needed it, only for it to be trumped by some new-fangled Joomla contraption with all the fields and relational tables I was haplessly trying to hack together all this time...</melodrama> :)

Migrating to GigCalendar for my primary site wouldn't be trivial, weeding out a few hundred events and 'venues' from Bookmarks to patch into new tables. And it looks like Events is getting legs to start up a new version, so I might stay put. But if you're starting a calendar from scratch, it looks like GigCalendar will be the obvious choice.

There are also folks on this and the Joomla board looking to jumpstart ExtCalendar as a fork from the first integration attempt made for Mambo. The lack of templates and 'non-nativetomamboness' initally turned me off, and both reasons are pretty invalid, I know.

But back to the Attend Events component, it looks like it holds the most promise. Instead of having a plugin simply spit out a user's events, the ability to manage invites or for peers to join roll calls or register for events posted by a user would be the kind of stuff CB was designed for.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #2475 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:events calendar plugin
I'll second Rick's comments about ExtCal... Once a co-worker pointed me to that calendar I have yet to turn back. I am in the process of restarting a site so I don't have a "Live" site yet but as far as I can tell there is no issue with the stock "ExtCal" can CB 1.0RC2. Let me know if anyone is aware of any.

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 4 months ago #2491 by hedingsi
Replied by hedingsi on topic Re:events calendar plugin
gigcalendar is now available.

I hope to see soon a plugin for this great work (i can't programm php:( )

18 years 4 months ago #2872 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Events Plugin Update
I'm tinkering with the idea of a plugin/tab for Events 1.2 and 1.2.1 (with front-end integration). Outputting upcoming events per user with category, title, date/time, location and hits in a profile tab was a fairly easy task (The API rocks and Events code is comprehensible), just need to add language and maybe column visibility parameters.

Here are some feature requests I've asked myself to do so far (I'll have to see about my availability/mojo):

- Edit Tab to delete/modify events in a list view.
- Make certain events available to certain connection groups.
- Reorder events within a profile tab according to a user's preferences.

Other cool features (like roll calls/registrations per event and links to venues) look like they depend on the next stable build of Attend Events, which appears to be the holy grail in terms of this sort of functionality. Anything else anyone would like to see in an Events (not ExtCal2 or GigCalendar) plugin, based on its current state?

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

18 years 4 months ago #2998 by mnisbet
Replied by mnisbet on topic Re:Events Plugin Update
I'm interested in this plugin :)

18 years 4 months ago #3005 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:events calendar plugin
geeffland wrote:

I'll second Rick's comments about ExtCal... Once a co-worker pointed me to that calendar I have yet to turn back. I am in the process of restarting a site so I don't have a "Live" site yet but as far as I can tell there is no issue with the stock "ExtCal" can CB 1.0RC2. Let me know if anyone is aware of any.

geeffland,

There is no connection between the 2 so there is no problem. I use:
Joomla! 1.0.4
Community Builder 1.0 RC2
ExtCalendar 0.9.1 Download here

Everything works fine. My only wish is that it had more support / developement. It is by far the most advanced generic calendar available for Joomla. I know that I will get a lot of people tell me how much better gigcalendar is but again I have to say it is not generic. ExtCal has the best full view calendar display, a great frontend module and much more. There is only a few minor things that I would like either changed or added to make this the perfect calendar.

Post edited by: rick, at: 2005/12/30 19:06

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn