Subscribemailman plugin updated

13 years 5 months ago #145644 by jhaines
Subscribemailman plugin updated was created by jhaines
I've been doing a little work on the subscribemailman CB plugin, primarily for my own use, but others might find it useful too. I have attached my version which I'm labelling as v4.2.2. As compared to Morten's last version (v3) I think, here are the changes:

- Updated code to Joomla! 1.5 native
- Removed Snoopy.class.php in favour of cb.snoopy, already in the CB distribution
- Fixed bug where illegal / duplicate email address entered in front/back end caused spurious subscription
- Added subscription of name (with email address) to the mailing list
- Added unsubscribe/resubscribe where user changes email address and/or name
- Added support for subscribe on unblocking
- Added support for subscribe on user activation (eg. following email confirmation, or user registration if confirmation/approval not required)
- Added support for unsubscribe on unconfirmation and/or disapproval
- Added support for user profile subscription opt-in checkbox via a configurable CB field
- Added support for subscription update on user log-in.
- Added support for external URL call. For example using CBSubs URL users can be subscribed to, or removed from, the mailing list according to CBSubs subscription, renewal, expiration or deactivation.

This has been well tested on an installation of Joomla!1.5.20 / CB1.2.3 / CBSubs1.0.3 / Mailman 2.1.13 and nothing else! It's likely it'll work on other fairly recent versions, but there's absolutely no guarantee. Much older Mailman should be fine too.

Please note that I am not a professional php/Joomla/CB developer, indeed I'm a relative novice at it. This is offered in good faith in the belief that it's useful, but with no guarantees of functionality or suitability for any particular purpose. Nonetheless, if you find any problems, I'd be interested to hear and might be able to fix them.

Julian

Attachment subscribemailman_4_2_2.zip not found

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #145652 by nant

13 years 3 weeks ago #158279 by burnstm
Replied by burnstm on topic Re: Subscribemailman plugin updated
Attachment not found... is this plugin still available?

13 years 3 weeks ago #158490 by jhaines
Replied by jhaines on topic Re: Subscribemailman plugin updated
Looks like the original attachment has got lost in the website update. Here's my latest version, 4.2.5.

Julian
Attachments:

13 years 3 weeks ago #158658 by burnstm
Replied by burnstm on topic Re: Subscribemailman plugin updated
This is an outstanding plugin. Thanks!

One of the problems I've encountered managing our local astronomy club is finding a way for everyone to communicate via email with each other while still keeping individual email addresses 'anonymous'. Typical Joomla-based mailing lists are really intended to be one way (from the website administrator to the list); the only way to allow recipients to reply to everyone else was to include all of the individual addresses in the email. The only way I have been able to allow everyone to email each other without knowing everyone's address was via a Mailman list. There are a couple Joomla/Mailman bridges out there, but none of them are tightly integrated with CB or CBSubs.

In an ideal world this would be included as a standard plugin with CB and/or CBSubs. Until then, have you considered advertising this on the Joomla Extensions page? I'm sure there are other folks who are looking for this capability.

Couple of ideas for future enhancements:
1. Provide ability to define multiple Mailman lists.
2. Provide 'test' link to verify that you are communicating with the Mailman admin utility correctly (see JMailman as an example). I was able to correctly configure the settings without problem the first time around, so not that big of a deal.

I'd be willing to donate to help the cause. Thanks again!

13 years 2 weeks ago #158844 by jhaines
Replied by jhaines on topic Re: Subscribemailman plugin updated
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it! I'm not planning to make any improvements right now, but will certainly give careful consideration to your ideas when I find time.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn