Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User Groups Plugin

• Red1000
  • Red1000
18 years 4 months ago #3143 by Red1000
User Groups Plugin was created by Red1000
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a sturdy component available already that would allow only certain users access to certain site material… I would like to have let’s say, 10 groups and allow each group a different ranking, and relevant access to other users, content, and various site material. I have researched this problem and found the most publicized components available here: Popular Joomla Components under “Group Access”.

I wanted to ask your professional opinions before I go further, because I am new to Joomla and didn’t want to make any live mistakes. I was also curious to know if any of these preexisting components allow the level of control I am looking for…

I was wondering how easy it would be to tie a grouping system into CB so that each user’s group appears as a tab, and users are allowed to create unrelated subordinate groups (a feature you can find on MySpace.com or Facebook.com for example).

I read somewhere that the CB team was waiting until the API in Joomla was improved to allow these further modifications, so please excuse me if I am missing a bit!

Also, hats off, you are all amazing!

Joomla 1.0.8 + CB Stable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dsendecki
  • dsendecki
18 years 4 months ago #3144 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:User Groups Plugin
This'll do what ya need:

www.byostech.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,6/func,view/id,190/catid,5/

This component makes modifications to Joomla Core files and DB, so it maybe difficult to upgrade in the future.

Other people have used JACL with RC2, though and it works, I understand.

• Red1000
  • Red1000
18 years 4 months ago #3148 by Red1000
Replied by Red1000 on topic Re:User Groups Plugin
I had seen that product but was hesitant to try it because my advanced db skills are lacking, and if anything went wrong I'd be screwed.

I found the following on site you linked: “JACLPlus is an Access Control List (ACL) Enhancements Hacks Component for Joomla! As all of you whom familiar with Joomla! (previously Mambo) know that Joomla! is a very powerful and award winning CMS. Nevertheless, its ACL is its biggest weakness because you are unable to create new Groups or new Access Levels besides those default groups/access levels. Many CMS advanced users have switched to use other CMS becouse of this...
However, Joomla! 1.2 and above will solve this issue :). Then the question is why we still build this component? This is because a couple of our customers require this function as they would like to have their own created groups in their website, since we had persuaded them to use Joomla! CMS recently.”

I figure I will just wait for Joomla 1.2… hopefully it will be here soon! Thanks for your help!

Joomla 1.0.8 + CB Stable

• Gullars
  • Gullars
18 years 3 months ago #5373 by Gullars
Replied by Gullars on topic Re:User Groups Plugin
how long do we have to wait?

• rick
  • rick
18 years 3 months ago #5386 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:User Groups Plugin
The Joomla road map can be found at www.joomla.org/content/view/14/28/
Still got 5 to 8 months for 1.2

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

• lin_s
  • lin_s
18 years 3 weeks ago #11516 by lin_s
Replied by lin_s on topic Re:User Groups Plugin

The Joomla road map can be found at www.joomla.org/content/view/14/28/

Thanks for the heads up on the roadmap. I would really like to see this road map. It requires login (on the joomla site), however, I'm already logged in, but then it still denies access. I guess that's not your problem since you are on a different site...

Any clue why though?
Can any of the information in the road map be seen in a public place?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon