Setting up CB for the first time

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #308922 by bgareth2
Setting up CB for the first time was created by bgareth2
No money changing hands = no profit and I'm hosting the website out of my pocket - Grassroots Homeless Project

Hi, I am working on a new nationwide homeless database. This is a grassroots project. Others exist but they are geared towards government agencies and they are not particularly easy to access for street homeless people who will typically use the database at libraries and homeless projects that offer free internet access.

No money is changing hands, I'm paying for the hosting myself. The benefit to me is learning Community Builder so hopefully I can use it for paid projects where Clients want it.

The issue I'm struggling with (and thanks so much for taking the time to read)

Hi, I have an issue that, when I visit my website, the first page doesn't have much on it (as you'd expect since I have not put anything on there) **but** when I log in, it does not display the users profile by default. To display the profile, I have to click on my own profile under "CB Online".

I am actually looking for the ability to:

1) Display profiles and a search ability publicly

2) Editing profiles should naturally be done via logging in.

3) New Registrations are manually authorised (I'm pretty sure that this is default behaviour).

Thanks a million :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago #308923 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting up CB for the first time

1) Display profiles and a search ability publicly

To display profile on login edit your CB Login Module and set the Login Redirect URL parameter to index.php?option=com_comprofiler. As for searching you'll need to crate a userlist within CB > List Management and ensure it's set to Public access if you want it to be available publicly. Profiles are default Registered access only, which you can change in CB > Configuration > User Profile.

) Editing profiles should naturally be done via logging in.

This is already the case. Once they login they can access profile edit from the menu at the top of their profile, you can create a Joomla menu item to profile edit, or you can set your login module to display a link to profile edit.

3) New Registrations are manually authorised (I'm pretty sure that this is default behaviour).

Admin registration approval is likely already enabled, but you can toggle it within CB > Configuration > Registration if necessary.

I recommend downloading and reading through our CB Primer Book below as all of the above is already covered in it.

www.joomlapolis.com/downloads/documents

We also have a large set of videos that can help with configuration that you can find below.

www.youtube.com/user/Joomlapolis/playlists

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, bgareth2

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #308924 by bgareth2
Replied by bgareth2 on topic Setting up CB for the first time
Thanks for this, i've followed your instructions regarding the redirect and also set the profile view to public, but, when I revisit the website I'm getting the error - "Please log in or sign up to view or modify your profile". I have, I think, wrongly, set the default home item to "user profile -mandatory". Unfortunately the CB Primer Book won't download atm.

5 years 4 months ago #308928 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Setting up CB for the first time

bgareth2 wrote: Thanks for this, i've followed your instructions regarding the redirect and also set the profile view to public, but, when I revisit the website I'm getting the error - "Please log in or sign up to view or modify your profile". I have, I think, wrongly, set the default home item to "user profile -mandatory". Unfortunately the CB Primer Book won't download atm.

CB Primer Book downloads just fine for me.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn