[SOLVED] Proper ACL for CB moderators

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #270123 by azjr
I read the TOPIC: [SOLVED] Can I give my moderators CB User Manager access? and I'm trying to set something similar but no luck so far:
As per ACL tutorials/docs, etc. the basic rule is do do flat instead of nested, so I have created the following groups/users/acl leaving the existing default Joomla 3x settings in place:

Goal for CB: abc customers and abc staff see their individual tabs/fields (customer does not see staff's tabs)
abc managers can see + moderate and update both customers/staff accounts
Specs: J3.4.3 / CB 2.0.10

Here are the initial settings:
added:
ABC Customers Group (=> public)
ABC Staff Group (=> public)
ABC Managers Group (=> public)

In Joomla Global Configuration > Permissions
ABC Customers Group=> Site Login Allowed; rest = inherited (from Public)
ABC Staff Group=> Site Login Allowed; rest = inherited (from Public)
ABC Managers Group=> set as Joomla Manager Group (All allowed, except Super User/Access Administration Interface - set to inherit = not allowed)

In Joomla Viewing AL
ABC Customers AL (=> ABC Customers Group)
ABC Staff AL (=> ABC Staff Group)
ABC Managers AL (=> ABC Managers Group)

additionally:
in Registered AL added ABC Customers Group, ABC Staff Group, ABC Managers Group
in Special AL added ABC Managers Group

in CB Configuration > Moderation:
Moderators View Access Level = special
Allow Moderators to Edit User Profiles = Moderators and Super Admin only

~~~~
Once this didn't work, I tried (and I'm trying as I'm typing it) different variations based on the post noted above, but I think I'm just getting deeper into confusion as all my tests do not work.

In most scenarios user in the ABC Managers Group gets and error
""You cannot edit a `abc-customers`. Only higher-level users have this power."
Please help!
thanks!

~~~~
Quick update:
~~~~

I have actually also tested by assigning a user to Administrator and Manager profile: in both cases I'm getting the same message as above - only as a Super User I'm sucessfull to edit another user's profile.

Remember, these accounts are default Joomla - also I have tested by updating the CB Config > Moderation "Allow Moderators to Edit User Profiles" = Administrators and Super Users Only - AND as an Administrator I'll still get the message:

"Error
You cannot edit a abc_customer`. Only higher-level users have this power."

:unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #270155 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Proper ACL for CB moderators
ACL is tiered. This means those of greater ACL can edit those of lesser ACL. Those of same ACL can not edit. Examples as follows.

Public
- Registered
- - Moderator 1
- - Moderator 2
- - Moderator 3

In the case above Moderator 3 shouldn't be able to edit Moderator 1 or 2, but should be able to edit Registered.

Public
- Registered
- - Moderator 1
- - - Moderator 2
- - - - Moderator 3

In the case above Moderator 3 can edit Moderator 1, 2, and Registered. Moderator 2 can edit Moderator 1 and Registered, but not Moderator 3.

That is at least our intention with the moderator ACL. This however still may not be working exactly as we're wanting. We eventually want to have moderator assignment so moderators can be assigned to specific users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azjr

8 years 7 months ago #270168 by azjr
Replied by azjr on topic Proper ACL for CB moderators
hmmm... this kind of gets little complicated in the following scenario:

Public
ABC Customers
ABC Staff
Registered
- ABC Managers

The goal is to show different content (tabs in CB) to Customers and Staff, BUT have Managers to be able to view and update all of them... this nesting might cause other issues (don't know yet what type of issues, but I have a gut feeling that's something is not quite right...)

Anyhow, how would you solve this scenario then? customers and staff do not see eachother content, but managers can update both groups? The ABC Manager should also SEE what default Joomla Managers sees, but the reason I put it in Public to ADD permission not remove (the ABC Manager should not have ALL Joomla Manager rights, but only some)
thanks!

8 years 7 months ago #270201 by krileon
Joomla manager and administrator usergroups have higher permission than Registered so if you used either of them as the parent it might work how you're wanting. I would do the below structure though.

Public
- Manager
- - Administrator
- - ABC Managers
- Registered
- - ABC Customers
- - ABC Staff

The above might work. Another option maybe the below.

Public
- Registered
- - ABC Customers
- - - ABC Staff
- - - - ABC Managers

Note CB Moderators user is a view access level now. The structure only matters to determine who can edit who IF they are a moderator. So your CB Moderators view access level would just include ABC Managers.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

8 years 6 months ago #271580 by davidmarshall15
Replied by davidmarshall15 on topic Proper ACL for CB moderators
I have something like this:

Public
- Registered
- - Members
- - - Leaders
- - - - Managers
- - - - - Moderators

I want the moderators to be able to promote/demote anyone at a lower lever to any level between Registered and Managers.

Can this be done in the front end, is there a way to add the user group when a moderator is allowed to edit another users profile?

Thanks

8 years 6 months ago #271607 by krileon
There's no field for altering ACL on frontend. You'd need to create a field specifically for that (select type) and use CB Auto Actions to change the usergroup based off that fields value.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidmarshall15

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn