Database Error Message 1118 - Row size too large

6 years 3 months ago #299653 by Spiralmind
Hello, while editing a profile on the frontend when I click the update button I get this error now. Seems I have reached some limit? The site is hosted on SiteGround.

1118 - Row size too large (> 8126). Changing some columns to TEXT or BLOB or using ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC or ROW_FORMAT=COMPRESSED may help. In current row format, BLOB prefix of 768 bytes is stored inline.

Any ideas what may be happening? I have a hundred or so fields in the profile edit for my application.

Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #299654 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Database Error Message 1118 - Row size too large
From SiteGround support:

Thank you for contacting our Support team!

Yes, it seems that the extension is currently trying to write the data to the database and the row size is too big.
One of the solutions may be to try and change the database table's engine to MyISAM or, as the error suggests, change the row format to DYNAMIC or COMPRESSED.

However, it's impossible for us to know which table exactly needs to be altered so it's better to contact the extension developer and ask him or her to check the matter on their side or at least let us know which tables are used by the plugin.

6 years 3 months ago #299658 by krileon
Your database tables should have Storage Engine set to InnoDB and ROW_FORMAT set to DYNAMIC. You can find this under the Operations tab in phpmyadmin when viewing a database table. If not then your database is not up to date in Joomla or CB. Joomla does not use MyISAM anymore.

How many fields do you have? There is a database limitation on this. Too many fields and you'll hit row size limits.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 3 months ago #299660 by Spiralmind

How many fields do you have? There is a database limitation on this. Too many fields and you'll hit row size limits.

With the already added system fields I have 169 now. I don't think there will be too many more. What is the limit? This could kill my whole project if say 200 is too many.

I can look at the settings for the server now.

6 years 3 months ago #299664 by Spiralmind
99% if of the database is InnoDB but I cannot find any indication of if it's dynamic.

Attachments:

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #299670 by krileon

99% if of the database is InnoDB but I cannot find any indication of if it's dynamic.

ROW_FORMAT in your screenshot should be set to DYNAMIC. If it's not available then InnoDB with may not be configured with innodb_large_prefix and you'll need to contact your host if unsure how to configure that.

With the already added system fields I have 169 now. I don't think there will be too many more. What is the limit? This could kill my whole project if say 200 is too many.

That's quite a lot of fields. Each field with storage (e.g. Custom HTML fields do not count) adds a column to _comprofiler so depending on the type of the field you may hit limits. With a properly configured InnoDB we estimate the limit to be 1000 fields, but that is dependent on a lot of factors (fieldtypes, if the field even has storage, etc..).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn