Database Error Message 1118 - Row size too large

4 years 4 days ago #318029 by krileon
That would be entirely up to SiteGround. It depends on how they've configured Innodb. CB is designed to work with MySQL 5.7+ defaults, which were provided above and below. It's possible SiteGround changed the defaults to reduce server resources and cut costs or are using older MySQL defaults (e.g. from 5.6 and earlier days), which could be a problem as you've experienced.

The below is all that should be necessary, but as I said earlier I am not a database expert and there could be other configuration that is causing problems.

innodb_large_prefix = 1
innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb_file_format = Barracuda

ROW_FORMAT should also be set to Compressed or Dynamic.

If you are unable to use these settings you will hit row size limits very early and be very limited in the number of fields you can create.

You don't need a VPS for this. You just need a host that isn't stuck 7 years in the past still forcing MySQL 5.6 defaults, which will be end of life early next year. It looks like SiteGround announced an upgrade last year and in the comments it says they've MySQL 5.7 so I recommend contacting them to see if you for sure can get a MySQL 5.7 server or at least with MySQL 5.6 configured better.

www.siteground.com/blog/new-client-area-and-site-tools/

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 4 days ago #318032 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Database Error Message 1118 - Row size too large
I still see 5.6 in the System Information.

So you are saying newer versions of MySQL (5.7) would not have this issue and can handle the number of fields?

4 years 3 days ago #318043 by krileon
I'm not SiteGround so I've no clue. You'll need to ask them. According to HRISTO PANDJAROV in the comments of the article linked above they're rolling out new servers with 5.7. That was in August of last year. So I would assume something came of that at this point.

MySQL 5.7 isn't required. It's just the MySQL version that proper Innodb configuration defaults were set. With MySQL 5.6 the defaults for Innodb were very strict which limits data structure worse than MyISAM and if not changed then using Innodb becomes more of a burden than a benefit. If they do have the values in my above reply set then you should only need to change ROW_FORMAT for your tables to Dynamic or Compressed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 3 days ago #318044 by Spiralmind
They don't seem to have the ability to change anything for any account. So I need to find a new hosting option. That's why I was asking if all I needed was MySQL 5.7, but it needs to be also set to:

innodb_large_prefix = 1
innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb_file_format = Barracuda

ROW_FORMAT should also be set to Compressed or Dynamic.

Do you have any hosting companies that might allow this?

4 years 3 days ago #318057 by krileon

That's why I was asking if all I needed was MySQL 5.7, but it needs to be also set to:

Those are the defaults for Innodb on MySQL 5.7+ so they should be set regardless of the host if they note that they support MySQL 5.7.

Do you have any hosting companies that might allow this?

Any budget VPS will allow for this. I'm unsure why you said your VPS is too expensive. They're basically the same cost these days with cloud hosted VPS. For example Vultr offers $2.50/mo VPS packages that'd be plenty sufficient for a website. I'll break down the pricing for example below.

SiteGround StartUp - $0.33/mo for 3/mo then $11.95/mo with 50% off so $5.97/mo (if renewed for 12mo)
1 Website
10 GB

Vultr - $2.50/mo
1 Instance
10 GB

Both have your standard 1 click installs of various things. Vultr is a VPS so you get your own web server instance that you deploy. You can point as many website registers to it as you want. It's significantly cheaper than SiteGround StartUp once that 3/mo deal runs out. You could deploy multiple Vultr instances for that same price. You can use whatever MySQL version you want in your VPS. There's other great VPS hosts out there as well like Linode and DigitalOcean.

I don't really recommend hosting on anything other than VPS, but I prefer having completely control over my hosting environment. The shared hosting packages are attractive due to their prices, but those are typically only introductory deals like you see above. When those deals run out they're no cheaper than VPS and VPS lets me configure my server to do whatever I want. The major benefit of shared hosting of course is the simplicity of it which is best if you're handing the site off to a client.

Aside from that I don't know what to recommend. I don't host websites nor have clients as I'm entirely full time on Community Builder. I'm not sure why you're having issues on SiteGround either as we've several other users using them just fine. Maybe it's simply due to the server they put you on? I'm not sure. I suppose you could find hosts with prices that fit your needs and simply contact them to see if they either have the supplied configuration on MySQL 5.6 or offer MySQL 5.7.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

3 years 6 months ago #321124 by Spiralmind
Hello, I moved the site back to the new SiteGround hosting with MySQL 5.7 and have not gotten any errors. I am wondering if the error would of happened immediately upon opening the site?

I have not switched the live site over yet and am hoping to make sure it is all working first.

Thank you

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn