Multiple Usernames, Same Email Address

6 years 2 months ago #302248 by jmaridon
Multiple Usernames, Same Email Address was created by jmaridon
Hello, our site is built to allow the same email to be registered to multiple usernames. This has never been a problem until recently. Now when a user uses the username reminder feature, only one email comes through instead of 1 per username registered with a specific email address. The goal would be to have a reminder sent for each username registered with a particular email address. Is there any way I could accomplish getting this back?

Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #302258 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Multiple Usernames, Same Email Address
Joomla does not support duplicate email addresses. The only way to accomplish this that I am aware of is to use an alias email address. Example as follows.

test+alias_1@domain.com
test+alias_2@domain.com

Both of the above should send emails to the below.

test@domain.com

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #302278 by jmaridon
Replied by jmaridon on topic Multiple Usernames, Same Email Address
I have had this capability enabled by a plugin for several years now but all of the sudden I am no longer receiving password resets for every username registered, only one.

I also refuse to go into every profile and change their additional usernames attached with the same email to aliases. lol. There has got to be another way.

Sorry for the edit.

6 years 2 months ago #302292 by krileon
Joomla does not allow for duplicate email address. CB by design doesn't account for this either. So whatever plugin you're using may need to be updated to continue to do whatever it's doing to workaround that limitation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 months ago #302301 by jmaridon
Replied by jmaridon on topic Multiple Usernames, Same Email Address
I am not having an issue with the plugin, only the username reminder emails. I used to do a core hack to allow duplicate emails. I can explain in more detail:

The client comes to our site and registers both username A and username B, both using email@domain.tld. When the client wants a username reminder, they will only get an email for username A and not for username B.

Can you think of any way that we can easily correct this?

6 years 1 month ago #302334 by krileon
That's because CB isn't designed for that situation. When using forgot login it's finding the first user that matches the supplied email address, which will always be user A. You need to use email aliases to workaround all such issues. See my reply above on how to do this.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/238606-multiple-usernames-same-email-address#302258

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn