[SOLVED] Restricting forum URL's to paid members

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #255826 by delhi-expat
Ok, I apologize for posting another issue so soon after I posted the first, but this is something else that has been vexing me for a few days. I have cbsubs currently set up to offer all users three plans (two of them being free plans, and one being a paid plan). What I am trying to do is to restrict access to a certain category (and therefore sub categories) of my Kunena forum to users that sign up for either the paid plan or one of the aforementioned free plans.

I did a bit of looking around on the forums, and it seems the right way to restrict access is to put the following bit of code into the "by URL parts" under "plans - integration - extensions": - "option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=XXXX", and I've done this. I've put this bit of code (obviously replacing "XXX" with a number) into the right sections in both the plans for which subscribed users should have access, and not the third plan (i.e. users signing up for that plan would not have access to that URL).

However, it is not working for me, and that category is viewable to everyone (guests and unregistered users as well). Do I need to change the Kunena settings to "private"? Or choose "Community Builder" under "access"? I doubt any of those are required though, as this particular category does not correspond to a group within Group Jive - - there are other categories for that purpose - - this is a seperate area just for the folks I've mentioned above.

FWIW, this isn't, or again, doesn't appear to be, an issue with Kunena/Group Jive integration as that is working fine (group jive users in certain groups can access only those groups on the Kunena forum, et al). . .

However, things work fine when I restrict other sections of the site (for instance, footer) to certain folks, so there MUST be something I'm doing wrong here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #255846 by heyai
Replied by heyai on topic Restricting forum URL's to paid members
In Kunena you can change the access level of each category, so you can at least make these parts not visible to guests. You can also restrict access to certain user groups (which is what we do on our site, as CBSubs is overkill for our simple needs). As I have not experience with CBSubs, this might not work at all ;-)

hey-ai - the community for asian guys and non-asian girls

The search bar is your friend, not just decoration!

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #255857 by delhi-expat
Replied by delhi-expat on topic Restricting forum URL's to paid members

heyai wrote: In Kunena you can change the access level of each category, so you can at least make these parts not visible to guests. You can also restrict access to certain user groups (which is what we do on our site, as CBSubs is overkill for our simple needs). As I have not experience with CBSubs, this might not work at all ;-)

Yes, I know - but what I want to do is restrict even registered members from viewing that section (excepting two categories of members). From what I thought, it should have worked when set up the way I mentioned, but it isn't - - so I'm wondering if I'm structuring the URL's or something wrongly?

Not sure, but like I said, the restrict is working for "extensions" as well as modules, so (unlike in my other thread) the issue is likely that I am entering in something incorrectly - though for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm missing here.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #255884 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Restricting forum URL's to paid members
Protecting the URL won't protect the category from showing up in the list. However, you can protect the URL to the category so they can't access it at all and thus can't see the topics in it. To do this you'd protect the following URL.

option=com_kunena&view=category&catid=CATEGORY_ID_HERE

Replace CATEGORY_ID_HERE with the actual ID of your Kunena category. The URL structure you're currently using I believe is dated and does not function in Kunena and has changed to using view instead of func.

If you want to protect access and view of the category it's generally best to use view access level or usergroup then give the user your specific usergroup when they subscribe by configuring usergroup assignment on the Workflows tab of your plan.

Also note I think there maybe a bug with stable builds with By URL Part protection. Please install the latest nightlies found below.

CB Nightly:
www.joomlapolis.com/downloads/doc_details/640-community-builder-nightly-build

CBSubs Nightly:
www.joomlapolis.com/downloads/doc_details/671-cbsubs-gpl-nightly-build

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 4 months ago #255893 by delhi-expat
Replied by delhi-expat on topic Restricting forum URL's to paid members
Thanks a lot Kyle. Yeah, there might be a bug because I just tried doing what you said, but it did not work. I'll play with it a bit more but one question - - can you let me know how exactly to install the latest nightlies? Should I just download from the links you've provided and just install again via the CB/Joomla plug-in/extension managers without changing anything? I've currently got CB, CBSUBS and Group Jive installed on my test site. . .

9 years 4 months ago #255921 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Restricting forum URL's to paid members

can you let me know how exactly to install the latest nightlies?

Download from the links I've provided above and install like you'd install any CB and CBSubs release.

Should I just download from the links you've provided and just install again via the CB/Joomla plug-in/extension managers without changing anything?

For CB, yes. For CBSubs, yes in CB > Plugin Management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn