protect direct access

16 years 7 months ago #46590 by Problem
protect direct access was created by Problem
hello,

1st of all i would like to thank all developers for such a nice work which saved alot of time and money:whistle:

i don't know if someone else ask the same Q (i searched alot)it is my 1st time to joomla and CB ..actually 1st time to make a website :laugh:

my Question:-is it possible to protect my files from direct access? specially pictures and PDF articles?

for example:
-i made an article in joomla contains links to download a file(pdf or picture)? published for registered users only..

but i can not prevent ppl from downloading directly (www.mywebsite.com/picture.jpeg)

i am totally confused :(

can anyone tell me is it possible to protect from direct downloading? any ideas or plugins?

Thanks in Advance

Pro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #46595 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:protect direct access
You can protect from direct downloads, but it is quite difficult to set up. I did something like this a long time ago and it took ages to get it correct.

(I am assuming that you are running apache)

First, you would need to integrate joomla authentication with apache authentication. This is the tricky part. Google "apache php authentication" will get you started.

Teen you would need to define which files need authorization by using .htaccess files

There is a solution to this but you it is far from easy to get right.

Another option would be to store all your images to docman and use download links as the images, but I am pretty sure that this approach will lead to problems.

-Mikko

16 years 7 months ago #46598 by Problem
Replied by Problem on topic Re:protect direct access
Thanks for the fast reply, i was thinking of ur 1st solution i will read about it and try to set it up

Thanks again

16 years 7 months ago #46603 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:protect direct access
Cool. Please post back your experiences here.

-Mikko

16 years 7 months ago #46663 by Problem
Replied by Problem on topic Re:protect direct access
well i am taking my idea back lol.. i think this beyond my ability or knowledge to do such thing.. i have almost searched everywhere .. read artciles even not related to what i want, trying to figure it out..seems very difficult for me

all what i want is to make a picture gallery and only members can see or download picture from it..

+article download section for members

ur idea about php auth +joo integ. is logicaly great but hard to find out how to do it lol

i will go for docman and see if it fit to my idea

i appreciate taking time to help..

Thanks

16 years 6 months ago #47659 by gatman1
Replied by gatman1 on topic Re:protect direct access
Same Question Here - private folders/protected folders

Is there a known solution for protecting a folder (/images/stories/<private_folder>) so that only CB registered users can access the linked contents?

The files are stored here by the Admin and we only want them viewable/downloadable by authorized members.

Thanks
John

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn