0 Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error

6 years 11 months ago #293524 by stuntlist
0 Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error was created by stuntlist
Hi,

We have a Joomla 3.6.5 site with the latest version of CB and CB Subs. This is a community membership site. The site displays user profiles for members to search on.

Back in Feb. we had a use that was having trouble logging in. When you tried to edit the user record in the backend you go the message:
0 Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error

I found this post: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/235097-solved-0-error-decoding-json-data-syntax-error
I found that his params field of his user table record was corrupted, so large that it couldn't be edited. I ran the update command:
UPDATE `xx_users` SET `params` = '{}' WHERE `id` =yyy
The user could then login again and the admin could edit his record in the backend. The biggest issue is that the user list could not be displayed on the page that this user was on, white screen of death. Not good for a community membership site.

We then ran a global update on all users and set their params field back to {}.

Yesterday we had another user that couldn't login and one of the member list pages would not display. This user has the same problem where their params field is huge. I ran the update command on that user, and they can now login and be edited.

The problem is that somehow user records params are getting 'corrupted' and becoming huge. It looks like it is users that do a lot of updating to their user
profile that get this problem. Could there be something in the CB code that 'corrupts' the params field when a user updates their CB profile?

Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #293536 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic 0 Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error
CB can not corrupt the params. It may have in a much older release around the time they changed params to JSON, but since then we've no issues with saving params. So only very old user rows may have issues, but once the fix query is ran you should have no further problems.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn